Kelly Kettle

Discuss any outdoor gear, ruksack, sleeping, clothing, boots, gadgets, weaponry..

Kelly Kettle

New postby Sharpshooter on Mon 12 Jan 2004 17:49

I think it was Schwert who first intorduced me to the Kelly Kettle back on the OSF, I finally received a one last week...

It will most certainly be a neat addition to the campsite; imagine 2 1/2 pints of boiling water in less than 5 minutes. :Pir: Being able to do so with wood scraps and twigs is an great perk.

The Kettle is essentially a double walled chimney with the water in the wall, thus wasting very little heat from the fuel.

I didn't have time this weekend to get into the woods, but had some very dry pine in the form of a shelving unit waiting to fall down. My North Star Prototype made quick work of a 2 X 2 and created lots of the long thin shavings one needs to get a fire started quickly.

The shavings are set into a firepan under the kettle and ignited, additional fuel is fed thru the top of the chimney/kettle making a roaring fire that gets hotter whenever the wind blows thru the vent hole in the side of the pan (seen on the first pic).

A couple of minutes later and we had boiling water... the kids found good use for the water...

Kelly Kettle makes a grill and frying pan that can be fitted over the firepan making a deluxe hobo stove that stores inside the chimney. We're planning on storing a selection of instant cocoa, coffee, tea bags and soups in the chimney as well, making a great way of providing a FAST warm-up on the camp site. Try one if you get a chance... it rocks!

Reid

(edited by JM to show the images properly)
Sharpshooter

New postby James on Mon 12 Jan 2004 18:34

Great piece of kit!
James

New postby racquette on Mon 12 Jan 2004 19:01

That's a handy looking rig.I am very interested in the grill and pan accessories too.Looks like a good all purpose cooker. I just did a quick google search and found a great article on Jimbo's site by Randy(Schwert).Time to find a USA supplier.
Dale
http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/kellystove.html
racquette

New postby Edgewise on Mon 12 Jan 2004 19:09

Reid: These things work great. A few sections of thumb sized sticks split into quarters and you're good-to-go. You can go from "I'm not sure I want to get out of this warm sleeping bag" to "oat meal and hot coffee" in less than 10 minutes. I got the smaller version of that, figuring that would be lighter weight for solo camping and that if 2 or 3 guys in a group each had one, they could be combined with a grill (over the top) to make a multi-burner stove. Even if you're using a bigger camp fire, it's so easy to put a few coals in the Kelly Kettle, toss in some split sticks and boil up some water...much faster than boiling water in a pail or pot over the camp fire.

Edited to add: The SAK Hunter works especially well for preparing fuel for the Kelly Kettle. Use the saw to cut thumb-sized (or slightly larger) dry sticks into 4" (10 cm) lengths, then use a small stick to baton the blade and quarter those sticks lengthwise. Using the saw, the cut ends of the 4" sticks are relatively "square", which makes it very easy to baton them into quarters. And it takes less energy than hacking away with a bigger knife or hatchet. Standing dead saplings or dead limbs still attached to a tree (i.e., vs limbs that have been laying on the ground) will generally have dry centers even when the weather has been damp, and a 4" stick with squared-off ends is pretty easy to split. Once you get the Kelly Kettle "fired up" you don't have to be so fussy about dry fuel.
Last edited by Edgewise on Mon 12 Jan 2004 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
Edgewise

New postby Sharpshooter on Mon 12 Jan 2004 19:20

Dale,

Lee Valley has the Kettles here:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&page=43901&category=2,40733,40996

but no accessories.

Gene, I used some split sticks as well (expertly battoned, I may add) but wanted to shave sticks with the North Star too. I like the knife; A LOT!

I was considering the small one, but with CammieGirl, and three kids along I'd never see anything resembling hot water in my cup. LOL

Reid
Sharpshooter

New postby Schwert on Mon 12 Jan 2004 19:34

Reid,

One of my favorite tools is the Kelly. I want to add the larger version this year....if I can stop buying knives long enough.

I just posted some pictures of mine this morning in Racquette's place and referenced in the Edged tools.

Great kit really for both trail or home use. I want the larger version as part of my home kit for power outages, earthquakes etc.

Great set of pictures. Garrett Wade had the accessory kit bundled with the kettle last year for a decent price.

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?lGe ... tID=106256

There is a completely different manufacturer also

http://www.eydonkettle.co.uk/History/history.htm

and a similar design for New Zealand

http://www.thermette.com/

Lee Valley and Lehman

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.asp ... ncy=2&SID=

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product ... word=storm

and a story worth reading to understand the potential for burning off your finger hair

http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/reviews/pag ... T=5&ID=326

and another story

http://www.kingsley-hughes.com/outdoors/kit/kelly.htm

and finally my most favorite :lol:

http://oldjimbo.com/survival/kellystove.html
Schwert

New postby glockfan on Mon 12 Jan 2004 19:34

Ahhhhh our favorite store Lee Valley to the rescue, Thanks Sharpshooter & Jimbo!
glockfan

New postby racquette on Mon 12 Jan 2004 20:33

Thanks Guys.
What a small world.Lee Valley has a shipping center in Ogdensburg,NY.
20 miles from here.
It's not a store but shipping should be quick.
Thanks
Dale
racquette

New postby Schwert on Mon 12 Jan 2004 21:38

I have been meaning to go and look at the Thermette in person but just have not done it. It is big and copper. The firepan is really a fire ring so the fire sits on the ground. This may be a little less optimal than the Kelly varients, especially out here in the wet, or where fire rings etc are verboten.

It kind of looks like all of these have their merits....choosing is the issue. I think my next large one is going to be the Eydon model. Diversification.
Schwert

New postby James on Tue 13 Jan 2004 11:04

Randy, may I integrate your article on the Kelly Kettle in the magazine?
James

New postby Schwert on Tue 13 Jan 2004 19:45

JM,

You may share off my Kelly Kettle article from Jimbo's site to the magazine. That would be cool.

I am not sure if you want to link Reid's and my Nessmuk/Kettle posts as supporting comments etc. If so, I give my permisson for my piece.
Schwert

New postby James on Tue 13 Jan 2004 20:04

Thanks a lot!, I was expecting this kind of answer, So I had prepared the article allready, just had to push the publish button so article is in:

http://outdoors.magazine.free.fr/s_article.php?id_article=126
James

New postby Schwert on Tue 13 Jan 2004 22:35

All right, that looks great, thanks.
Schwert

New postby James on Tue 13 Jan 2004 23:07

if you want to write stuff on the mag, it is quite easy, as you can edit the articles yourself, and upload the images, like a forum. Even Andy could do it ;) just Pm me to get the password.
James

New postby Schwert on Wed 14 Jan 2004 02:57

Reid,

Did your large Kettle leak at all anywhere?

Mine still occasionally leaks at the bottom seam, but not like it did at first.

Great shots of great gear.
Schwert

New postby Schwert on Wed 14 Jan 2004 03:00

JM,

I suppose if Andy could do it I should be at least able to try.

I plan on shooting another round of shots for the some other knives, maybe I will give an article a shot.
Schwert

New postby wayne on Sun 25 Jan 2004 01:14

Hi

Do any of you guys have any comments about the Kelly kettle accessory kit. i have the large kettle and am thinking of ordering the accessories.

cheers,
wayne

New postby Sharpshooter on Sun 25 Jan 2004 07:38

Schwert,

Mine never leaked a bit, though the instructions say it may leak a bit.

If I recall correctly, didn't you first try yours on a gas stove? I wonder if the concentrated heat on the bottom didn't cause it to expand and loosen the joint, or perhaps burn away the sealant they put in the kettle.

Have you considered soldering that leaking seam? There are lead free solders readily available and it wouldn't take long to melt in some flux and then a bit of solder to stop that leak once and for all.

Wayne,

I keep looking at the accessories and am almost convinced that they are a must have. Tell ya what, I don't believe I have seen you do the REQUIRED subversion of another member of the forum. Since it is a MANDITORY REQUIREMENT for membership in this forum, I'll give you one chance to fulfill your obligation by ordering the accessory kit for your Kelly Kettle and reporting on the performance on this forum.

I figure 30 days is a sufficient time to accomplish this. :lol:

Reid
Sharpshooter

New postby wayne on Mon 26 Jan 2004 19:33

Hi.

thats just the excuse i have been looking for. shall order one tomorrow.

will post my thoughts on the performance after a few goes.
wayne

New postby James on Mon 26 Jan 2004 19:36

Good! I am thinking about getting one too, need to find a Euro place for it now...
James

New postby Presumed_Lost on Sat 07 Feb 2004 22:45

Schwert wrote:I have been meaning to go and look at the Thermette in person but just have not done it. It is big and copper.

Hello.

I have the large Kelly, the "Popular" model of Eydon, and the Thermette.

The Thermette looks bigger in the photos, but it's actually almost identical in size to the large Kelly or Eydon "Storm". The boxes they came in were within an eighth of an ince of the same dimensions. You have to see them next to each other, but they're very much the same size on the outside, but the Thermette holds a few more ounces. It's also much lighter in weight than you would think.

The big advantage of the Thermette is that you can configure it to cook on top WHILE you're boiling water, or configure the base as a twig stove without the cannister at all.

But, side by side, they're a lot more alike than they are different. The Thermette even works on the large Kelly base.
Presumed_Lost

New postby pablorooney on Sun 11 Jul 2004 13:02

a friend of mine had waited monthe for a kelly kettle and eventually got one at the midland game fair in england.we were attending the european air rifle championships and he brought his wife and two of his sons.
we all gathered round for the first "boil up"and unfortunatly it was his son who sat directly in front of the spout....WHICH HAD THE CORK ON IT!!!.....

what happened next was tragic and the boy spent the next two days in hospital with second degree burns on his face and torso.

it was a lesson which could have been avoided with some common sense. dont boil water with the cork in as the pressure will build up.this may sound obvious but after seeing the above i thought it was important to say it.

bit bulky for me but a very effective water boiler.
pablorooney

New postby ssj on Sun 11 Jul 2004 13:14

Good heads up! Thanks.
Steve
ssj

Return to Gear and other hardware