1001 Tips/tricks of the trade to make life easier

Making things, reuse tips and tricks of all sorts.

New postby jefe' on Fri 17 Jun 2005 21:50

211:
Pieces of orange peel, left orange side down (inside of peel facing up) every few feet will become phosphorescent at night; good way to leave a "trail of crumbs" to/from yr campsite for nocturnal excursions.
jefe'

New postby SBRaider on Sun 19 Jun 2005 20:00

212 Carry a small firearms cleaning kit when camping with a firearm. You never know when a fall will fill the barrel with crud or the firearm may be get wet and need cleaning.

213 Glasses and contact wearers should have a spare pair of glasses with them when about and about. You never know when they may be needed. A friend lost his when he was 400 miles from home. He was legally blind without them, and almost totally incap. until he could get to a 1 hour glasses maker to replace them. Turns out the "computer" used was 1 power off.
Last edited by SBRaider on Mon 20 Jun 2005 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
SBRaider

New postby warrior on Mon 20 Jun 2005 05:13

#214 Nail polish applied to chigger bites alleviates the itching an alternate is to submerge the bite in water and keep it submerged for at least fifteen minutes.

For our members not familiar with chiggers, aka redbugs, they are a small mite like creature that burrows under the skin creating an itching red welt. For some reason they tend to prefer digging in on areas of your body where tight restrictive clothing is worn such as the waist under the belt and ankles under the socks. Also it seems that in the wild they must exist in colonies or groups because you rarely get only one chigger bite but multiple bites. The nail polish or submersion acts to suffocate the chigger easing the itch. Here in the hot south nothing beats going for a long swim to stop the itching.
warrior

New postby SBRaider on Mon 20 Jun 2005 13:45

215 Sample credit cards, old AAA cards and electronic hotel room door keys make great items to wrap fishing line around for PSK's. They also work for duct tape, wire, elec tape and fine coard. Makes a nice thin package.
SBRaider

New postby Gazornenplat on Mon 20 Jun 2005 16:56

216. LED torches are not as bright, but mine on three AAA batteries will stay lit for four days continuously.

217. 10lb fishing line can be used for fishing, sewing, binding, trapping, warning tripwires etc.

218. Socks make good emergency gloves.

219. A sock pulled around a water bottle and dampened, will keep the water cool(er)

220. 8 teaspoons of sugar and a teaspoon of salt in a litre of water makes an emergency rehydration fluid. If you can replace 1/2 tsp of the salt with 1/2 tsp of baking soda then do so, and if you can add 1/3 tsp of pottasium chloride (low sodium or "light" salt), it will be even better. Not to mention a lot cheaper than the commercial packets. You can use the salt and sugar available to you in your packpacks, or make up the dry mix before you go.

221. Put your foam mat UNDER your groundsheet (a) it keeps it flat b) it protects your groundsheet, and c) it doesn't matter if it has got wet)

222. Shampoo washes hair, skin, clothes, kit etc - it's the only soap you need

223. Old (or new) CD's with silver on the title side can be used as heliographs
Gazornenplat

New postby Estela216 on Tue 21 Jun 2005 01:16

Here are cheap alternatives to get us up to #230:

#224 instead of fishing snips, use fingernail clippers.

#225 instead of bottle insulators, cut up an old closefoam mattress.

#226 instead of paddle guards, use door edge guards from a car store.

#227 instead of thread, carry dental floss.

#228 instead of costly purification tabs, use a tincture of iodine.

#229 Cut up old webbing and use it to tell your luggage apart from others. Works really well with colorful climbing webbing.

#230 Melt old candles in a pot and pour them into old ice cube trays. Add some cordage and you have a dozen or so single use firestarters, candles, whatever.
Estela216

New postby bushwacker bob on Tue 21 Jun 2005 20:08

#231 take handfulls of salt,pepper and hand wipes from fast food restaurants(get friends andrelatives to do the same) they take no room,weigh nothing but make bland food, edible.
#232 always wear lace up boots,you never know when you may need a bowdrill cord
bushwacker bob

New postby SBRaider on Thu 23 Jun 2005 14:55

233 When in snake country, a long walking stick comes in handy to look into brush, or if needed, to smack em. LOL
SBRaider

New postby SBRaider on Thu 23 Jun 2005 14:56

234 Always bring a small camera with you when in the bush, there are great pix to be taken that you may never get the same shot again
SBRaider

New postby Estela216 on Wed 06 Jul 2005 18:35

235. Wear a hat, bandana, socks, arm bands, whatever you can to put 100% deet directly on. This will help you avoid putting it on your skin.

236. If your batteries are dead, rub the negative sides together for a minute or so. This gets the last bit of juice out of them and actually works.

237. Burning the ends of nylon cord works well and so does clear nail polish. I made 550 parachute cord boot laces and dipped 1" of the tips in clear polish to make them more rigid.

238. Recipe time: Take pizza dough and hershey kisses and wrap the dough around the chocolate. Wrap greased tin foil around this and put it near a camp fire. This is one tasty treat.

239. Kydex and dirt don't mix. You can epoxy an oily fur cloth to the back of your sheath to wipe the blade if you have to.

240. Red lamp filters help maintain a person's night vision. Swap out your white lights for this if you are active at night.
Estela216

New postby SgtMike88Ret on Thu 14 Jul 2005 09:28

Someone with some time on their hands needs to do a recount here. Y'all count like Floridian election officials... :oops:

Next tip - Add a piece of skateboard tape to your PSKs and matchsafes as a reliable striker for strike anywhere matches...

M

I think this is 241

Then again counting election results isn't something a Chicagoan should be doing...

Reid
SgtMike88Ret

New postby warrior on Mon 18 Jul 2005 05:57

242. Consider replacing standard fishing hooks with circle hooks. Circle hooks are self setting by design. The line can be tied off to a limb and left unattended. Fish will hook themselves with circle hooks.
warrior

New postby Razorsharp on Tue 19 Jul 2005 13:19

243. Always wear a life jacket when on water.

244. Cardboard makes a nice stropping surface that is easy to pack.
Razorsharp

New postby WOLF on Thu 21 Jul 2005 13:14

245. Cut up used bike inner-tube to make "Ranger" bands - useful for bundling items and attatching them. Also can be used (in a CRISIS - not environmentally friendly) as a fire starter.
WOLF

New postby mwelch8404 on Fri 12 Aug 2005 03:14

Sharpshooter wrote:19. Carry a small container of Cayenne pepper in your kit. Not only does it taste good, but it works as stop leak in the radiator of your car, stops bleeding when applied directly to wounds (coagulant), is an antiseptic, when applied topically works as a counter-irritant relieving pain of arthritis and sprains.

It's also thought to stop heart attacks when taken oraly. In all Cayenne is a terrific emergency medical supply. Learn more about it Here

NNN. And on your back trail, Cayenne will stop dogs - they won't be able to smell for two or three days. Of course, the handlers will shoot you on sight.

NNN. I like to build up for two too three days about the "green monster" (use your imagination here) and then, with the help of a partner, "dress up" with the nicely glowing liquid from a green Cyalume.

NNN. Use th liquid from a white Cyalume, walk into the Medic's tent and yell: "IT BURNS, IT BURNS, IT'S RADIOACTIVE. HHHHEEEELLPPP MMMEEEEE..." Cleared out the Medics' tent (under the walls, etc.) in .00001 seconds...

NNN. VERY carefully consider where to go heavy and where to go light. 25 - 30 years ago I could curl up ANYWHERE ain a wool blanket and sleep. Now I'm the princess and the pea... Two pads for me. Always one firearm, one FB, one to three (different types) of folders "scattered" about. Very light weight food, cooking etc -and I LIKE to eat. I just pick carefully where to go heavy and where to go light.

NNN. I recently read about "ultralight" backpacking and how "recent" it was. Horsehocky. In Camping and Woodcraft by Horace Kephart, he tells you how to get down to 23 lbs with CANVAS gear... Read the books by the real old - time woodsmen

NNN. Beer is just liquid bread.
mwelch8404

New postby Dirt Dog on Fri 12 Aug 2005 19:38

A couple of sewing needles so you can repair what ever with fishing line or dental floss. I also heat a couple up with a candle, and bend them into a semi circle with a pair of needle nose pliers; for sewing up my self if needed.

I always carry an electric lighter, if it gets wet you just shake the water out and it lights, even if your hands are wet. Try lighting a bic with wet hands. :)

Sun block, put some in the corner of a baggy, get as much air out and tie a knot above it, cut the rest of the bag away and you have about ½ oz. for emergencies. I keep it in a small container, so that it doesn’t get smashed, with other assorted stuff all done that way.
Dirt Dog

New postby PC2K on Fri 12 Aug 2005 20:02

Is Cayenne pepper, the white kind of pepper ?
PC2K

New postby MoccasinMan on Fri 12 Aug 2005 20:50

Cayenne is one of the spicier chilis (about 7/10). It is red, about 1" -1 1/2" long, or bigger depending on variety. i use habañeros (10/10) because i grew up on spicy food and love it- I put sauce on ice cream.
MoccasinMan

New postby SBRaider on Tue 23 Aug 2005 15:53

SgtMike88Ret wrote:Someone with some time on their hands needs to do a recount here. Y'all count like Floridian election officials... :oops:
[/i][/b]

Aren't you a mod here, and didn't you start this thread? Get counting. LOL
SBRaider

New postby nomad on Sun 28 Aug 2005 22:26

binocular lenses can be used to start a fire but they also work as a microscope, hold the object you wish to magnify upto the eyepiece and look through the other end ...try it

nomad
nomad

New postby TODOP on Sat 03 Sep 2005 17:00

258 ? This I read from Bulgarian site:Take 1,5 L botle FANTA,COKA -COLA,then get da air uot of it and you got smal botle which can be filled whit air(blow in)and get normal.
TODOP

New postby Feral on Sat 22 Jul 2006 02:34

259# spider webs stops bleeding.

269# if you dry clean your sleeping bags ALWAYS air them out, becase the fumes will kill you.
Feral

270 Add magnesium flakes to PJ coated cotton balls

New postby DavidEnoch on Wed 25 Apr 2007 17:50

270. I add magnesium filings to my PJ cotton balls that I keep in my kit as fire starters. I just file a bunch of filings off a magnesium bar and dip the PJ coated cotton balls in the magnesium flakes. I knead the flakes into the cotton ball. I find that these magnesium flakes really make a difference when things are wet. I pitched one into a water puddle and it still caught a spark from a fero rod on the first try. That cotton ball burned in the puddle for about 5 minutes.

271. Carry a pair of ignition pliers in your gear. These tiny pliers weigh almost nothing but are very useful, even if you have another multitool.

David Enoch
DavidEnoch

New postby wildcat on Wed 25 Apr 2007 21:25

272. Tie an empty 2 liter bottle to your pack or gun if you are going to be boating. It will keep your gear from going 20,000 leagues under the sea.

273. The 2 liter bottles can also be used for solar purification of water.
wildcat

New postby mcniac on Thu 26 Apr 2007 13:43

some good tips! keep em coming
mcniac

New postby loupeznik on Fri 27 Apr 2007 20:29

274. Leave something "essential" behind everytime. It lets you know what your really need. Odds are you only need a soud mind.
loupeznik

New postby nemoaz on Tue 08 May 2007 02:59

Two long bungee cords and a poncho make for an easy up and easy down shelter so long as you have at least one tree. A couple of stakes help also though rocks can be used.

This is the best thread on the net.
nemoaz

New postby nemoaz on Tue 08 May 2007 03:08

Always carry two sources of fire, two knives, two compasses/gps, and two ways to purify water. One set should be on your body directly (pouch on your pants belt or looped around neck) at all times when in the brush. The backup set can be in a pack.

Everything looks better with a little cord orparacord wrapped around it or attached to it. Start with your hat, your knives, your flashlights, your compasses. and your pack. And it's nice to hide snare wire inside those items.

'Tampons and maxipads make great dressings.

Bandannas, as already mentioned, have many uses such as covering from the sun, protection from blowing dust, to hold water against the skin for cooling, as a dressing or bandage, to filter particulates out of water, and singalling just as a start. Buy the fabric and cut it yourself if your cheap like me. Orange bandannas help with signalling and keep your from loosing your kids. (Mine wears his like a pirate would.)
nemoaz

280 Bring bagels

New postby DavidEnoch on Tue 08 May 2007 13:31

280. I have found that bagels are the perfect travel bread. Bagels are tough enough not to get crushed when packed away. I carry them for my bread when traveling by auto, camping, hunting, or on daytrips. The only downside is that they are heavy for extended backpacking trips.

David Enoch
DavidEnoch

New postby pvtcamo on Sat 12 May 2007 10:03

# 281. Never, I mean - NEVER, kill a female spider inside your tent. (If you do it, you might have hundreds of tiny spiders all over the place)

[how to know if it's a female? I dunno.]
pvtcamo

PreviousNext

Return to Do it yourself