Braided Dog "Show" Lead

Making things, reuse tips and tricks of all sorts.

Braided Dog "Show" Lead

New postby dobegirl on Mon 31 Mar 2008 23:48

Hi Everone,
I decided that I want to learn how to make hand braided "Show" leads for dogs. I saw an Lanyard made by Schwert and asked for help. He willingly gave me a lot of guidance.
This is my first lead, I see a couple of areas for improvement already. This one was braided a little too tight, and I wasn't pleased with the join, it's a little too fat.
Please let me know what you think, I really want to improve.

Thanks
Dobegirl :banana:
P.S. Thankx a million Schwert!!!
Attachments
firstlead.1jpg.jpg
First Lead
firstlead.1jpg.jpg (51.79 KiB) Viewed 707 times
dobegirl

Re: Braided Dog "Show" Lead

New postby wildcat on Tue 01 Apr 2008 14:38

it looks really nice to me. Good job. =D=
wildcat

New postby James on Tue 01 Apr 2008 17:29

nice work! :yup:
James

New postby Jimbo on Tue 01 Apr 2008 17:33

That looks fantastic!
I think that you'll get lots of chance to improve in speed, though, when lots of people want you to make them one...
Jimbo

New postby jables on Tue 01 Apr 2008 17:39

That looks awesome to me- I know I couldn't do that good of a job- even with Schwert's help.
You should be really proud of yourself- that feeling of using something you made with your own hands is wonderful! :mexnana:
jables

New postby Schwert on Wed 02 Apr 2008 22:39

Dobegirl,

This lead turned out great. I am really pleased when someone takes a spark from some of my articles and turns out such nice work. I bet you could win "Best in Show--Attire" with that lead hooked to one of your dogs.

Backbraiding the hand loop is always a bit of a challenge to get it to lay right. It will always turn out a bit fatter unless you carefully taper the strings. But a bit of tension on this over the years will settle it down some. A good soaking in warm water for a couple of minutes then a stretch and roll will also make those strings settle into each other a bit. I honestly do not see any thing I would do any different on this lead though. It looks great and I bet any dog lead around the ring with that would feel just a bit more special.

It was not all that hard either was it? Most people think braiding is tough, but once you have the pattern it just flows.

Really nice work.
Schwert

Return to Do it yourself