Stove thoughts and options

Making things, reuse tips and tricks of all sorts.

Stove thoughts and options

New postby dilligaf2u2 on Thu 28 Feb 2008 08:28

I am not a gram weeny. This would be evident to you if you ever saw the extra gear, I take into the field, just to make coffee. I also take a few things to make bread in the field and of course Cinnamon roles. Ya Ya roles when on a 3 day is a must for me and coffee is my life's blood.

Wood is not always an option when camping. I prefer my altered Sierra Zip stove for outing but I do not count on it being acceptable for every trip.

The Coleman 502 stove, I dearly love, has weight issues. The Coleman Apex II is lighter but uses fossil fuel and not the best choice for a short 3 day trip.

I bought an old style Braslight Turbo 1 stove that works well for me. I have not tried the new designs but if it is a Brasslight, I am confident it is well made and sturdy.

The Pop can stoves work well for heating water and I can bake breads with them. The big BUT comes in. I have more then once had them fail due to the obvious weakness in their thin Wall construction. This is a confidence factor. Trusting your gear to hold up when you need it. Why have a light stove if you have to have something to protect it in your pack to keep it from getting dented or made unsurvivable. This has happened when I take no pot but use foil or a large beverage container as my cook container.

In my search for a stove I could make, that was sturdy and light, I have came to use an aluminum adult beverage bottle. I have made the pressurized and non pressurized models. Both work very well though they take a few extra drops of fuel to preheat. The thicker wall construction just give me the confidence needed to trust them several times more then the pop can stove.

For those of you that are like me and are always looking for alternative or better, more trusting, light gear to take or make. I recommend you try making a stove from an adult beverage bottle. They are small. They are light. They work very well and most of all they have that confidence factor, we all seek in our gear.

Don
dilligaf2u2

Re: Stove thoughts and options

New postby LD on Thu 28 Feb 2008 17:44

By the use of the term "adult Beverage" what are you rcomending? In my area this indicates a container for alcaholic beverages. I have never noticed a difference between Beer cans and pop cans for practical purposes.

The high caffine energy drinks are made from heavier stock than soda cans, and make excellent stoves.

They are also available with screw off lids and make excellent water bottles.

While the preasurized stoves are fun to make and play with I have found that for all practical uses the unpreasurized types cook just as well. I often use a tuna can preferated around the top with a "church key". No screens, granules, bolts bells or whistles. Just 1/4" of alcahol in the bottom of the can. Occasionally a tin foil sindscreen is necessary, but that is the case with most stoves.

It is strong enough to support a pot and if dented can be bent back into shape and still work.

I often eat the tuna as my first meal and use the can to cook my second meal. :nanadance:
LD
OM Team
OM Team

New postby wildcat on Thu 28 Feb 2008 19:27

i have tried making the pressurized stoves with out success. My best stove is a vienna sausage can set an inch or so under the pot.
wildcat

New postby LD on Fri 29 Feb 2008 20:48

wildcat wrote:i have tried making the pressurized stoves with out success. My best stove is a vienna sausage can set an inch or so under the pot.

Leave it to you and me to take the hi-class, hi-tech, labor intensive approach! :bow:
LD
OM Team
OM Team

New postby tuxdaddy on Sun 02 Mar 2008 12:30

If memory serves me(and sometimes the service sucked), at some stadiums they served beer in heavy aluminum can/bottles, to eliminate broken glass issues and such..

There was s fellow who had a youtube video of making one.. Hope this link works ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcrW27Leo4w

Tux
tuxdaddy

New postby wildcat on Fri 07 Mar 2008 14:59

LD, I finally broke down and replaced my heavy stainless steel pot with a one pound coffee can. I asked a chemist about the rust issue and he said small bits of rust are not harmful. Besides, all you have to do is rub some dirt over the rust to clean it up then rinse the dirt out. An off brand nalgene bottle fits inside it perfectly if you cut the inside rim out.
wildcat

Return to Do it yourself