The DIY Open GPS

Making things, reuse tips and tricks of all sorts.

Re: The DIY Open GPS

New postby James on Thu 27 Mar 2008 19:36

Jim,

I use both navigon and tomtom. Navigon is slow for calculations. Tomtom on my loox loads (almost) instantaneously, less than 10 seconds, and calculates almost as fast, it is self contained on a SD card.

The static navigation mainly maintains the bearing and position at low speeds, therefore correcting the incertitudes that make your bearing go round randomly when you are stopped. It can effectively be fine tuned using sirftech, but I am not sure I noticed any ameliorations done by my tuning, and it was lost repeatedly for a reason I could not find, so I just stopped bothering with sirftech, but siftech also enables you to switch to pure sirf mode, and/or to change the data speed and the default NMEA and SIRF mode message emission rates... I'll have a closer look to this !

Tomtom will still stick your position to a road as much as possible, and it does display roads with a seconds latency on my loox, as does navigon, and did miomap as I could witness on a friend's loox. It seems normal considering that the minimal NMEA message rate is one second, you'll have to always be late plotting position, there is no other way, and if there is, it is the software anticipating.

Navigon on the loox seems to have a lot of control over the OS, so I wonder if it switches to a static mode automatically, or it could be that you lost the GPS fix for sometime, could happen easily in the middle of high buildings, if the fix did not had time to gather a maximum of satellites before you start removing some by walking in NYC.

I cannot really compare with NYC, here in French Riviera. I lost signal a few times in deep gorges, in the backcountry alps while driving the car, but I would not expect any GPS to keep up in these, with deep walls on each sides, a windscreen, a van's roof, and only a narrow band of 20% or less of the sky naturally available at any time, and a very curvy road driven at 70-90 km/h (40-50mph)...

Is the version you use the latest bios from futjitsu (1.57 is the version)?

You could also think that all loox are equal, considered the HW revisions are the same, but it is false, I can attest, as I had two in hands and one was 10 to 20% slower loading software than the other considering the same cards software and settings, just serial numbers showing the faster being much more recent... :hum: :bah:

I am not sure, but I hope I answered some of your questions :wink2:
James

New postby GPShelp on Thu 27 Mar 2008 21:49

Thanks for the quick responses. I think most likely the unit just lost the signal for a while. It is raining here today after all. But I'm pretty sure that the static navigation is turned off for the unit and is not turned back on by mobilenavigator. I noticed that at some points it did track me pretty accurately, but then would suddenly stop. Before I hacked it (with your help) it never even did this once. It would lock on for a great amount of distance and not even move, maybe after I walked like two blocks then it would jump to that position and stay there. Today I saw it keep up with me about half the time. I'm not sure if sirftech actually works with Pocket loox, whenever I pick the ports and baud rate it finds it, when I click on the static navigation option there is just an empty box and okay. I check it off, but it doesn't seem to save the information. I'll play around with it to see if I can alter and keep the settings. If I get it to work perfectly here in NYC I'll post to let you know what settings I did. Thanks again.
GPShelp

New postby James on Thu 27 Mar 2008 22:41

yeah small improvement :wink2: that's what the static nav does :hum:

sirftech mostly works. :yup:

set the port characteristics in "com"

then NMEA "set serial port" set protocol to SIRF, speed 9600 hit set, the time passes from NMEA time to sirf time

Hack stuff in sirf mode, then...

to revert to NMEA mode, SIRF menu "Switch to NMEA protocol" check the time passing from sirf to nmea time.

:nanadance:
James

New postby bertie on Wed 02 Apr 2008 07:45

I'm new on this forum and I'm struggling to find out whether the Navigon 6.5.2 version is OK to use in the UK? Is it only for the US? Do the original maps work with it or do I need to purchase updated maps for the UK specifically?
When I open the Loox_N100_6_5_2_TTS_Realty_View file, I get 3 cab files, 2.cemd.arm.cab, 3.Navigon 6.5 Realty View and MN6.update.cab. If I decide to go ahead and install 6.5.2 (assuming it os OK for UK), do I need all 3 files or just MN6-update.cab and 2.cemd.arm.cab(if I don't want Realty View?). I really cannot find anything on the Navigon site that tells me what the heck 6.5.2 is or any readme files within the cab files that tell me.
I would really appreciate any pointers here.
Many thanks.
bertie

New postby James on Wed 02 Apr 2008 08:11

Hello and welcome,

You'd get a better answer there : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topi ... C_ID=71114
I admit I have no idea at all !
James

New postby bertie on Wed 02 Apr 2008 13:12

Well, I had already posted there but got no response!
bertie

New postby James on Wed 02 Apr 2008 17:35

sorry to be of no help :bah:
James

New postby bertie on Wed 02 Apr 2008 19:06

Thanks James, I'll persevere a bit longer. Thanks anyway. A great site by the way, good work.
bertie

New postby Escher on Tue 08 Apr 2008 21:50

how do you install MMSirfSetup.exe. I always get the message "MMSirfSetup is not a balid windows CE application"
Escher

New postby James on Wed 09 Apr 2008 14:31

mmm, you must be missing some DLL, but I do not know which one.
James

New postby matt_cyr on Wed 09 Apr 2008 15:06

First, are you running MMSirfSetup.exe from your PC with the device attached through activesync? I think that is an executable file that needs to be run on a PC, not from the device itself.
matt_cyr

New postby James on Wed 09 Apr 2008 16:08

Hmmm, actually I think it goes directly on the loox. But it may need some other Memory map stuff, I don't know, as I never tried it without the navigator installed. :bah:
James

New postby matt_cyr on Wed 09 Apr 2008 17:56

James wrote:Hmmm, actually I think it goes directly on the loox. But it may need some other Memory map stuff, I don't know, as I never tried it without the navigator installed. :bah:

Try running it from the pc. It's a setup program that will install the software onto the loox through activesync.
matt_cyr

New postby Escher on Wed 09 Apr 2008 20:44

I installed MMSirfSetup from my pc. It was looking fine untill I get the following message on the loox: Cannot find MMSirfSetup (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available.
Escher

New postby Escher on Wed 09 Apr 2008 20:55

I have manage it I needed the aygshell.dll
Escher

New postby Escher on Wed 09 Apr 2008 21:22

If I want to turn off static navigating with com port and baud do I need?
Escher

New postby matt_cyr on Wed 09 Apr 2008 23:43

The loox n100 uses com4 and baud of 9600 by default.
I've never changed the static navigation though.
matt_cyr

New postby Escher on Thu 10 Apr 2008 05:47

I just want to install one offroad navigation software. Wat programme is the best that run on the loox N100 for example Memory map, nonigpsplot, ozixplorer etc etc etc. What are the advantageen disadvantage of each programme.
Escher

Re: Scale bar display in MMPocketNav

New postby kmenden on Thu 10 Apr 2008 06:35

Hi guys. Thanks to all the excellent help my Pocket Loox is unlocked, and menus/utilities are working great.
Has anyone noticed a small issue I'm having with display of the yellow scale bar in Memory Map PocketNav. Running version 5.2.5 build 841 downloaded from MM5, the area directly above the menu bar where scale bar was supposed to display just blinked continually. Switching to aygshell.dll (version 1/18/05, 16896 bytes) stopped the blinking, scale bar displayed perfectly, menu bar moved to top of screen...BUT, functionality of the buttons shifted one position left: had to press "+" Zoom In button to perform Zoom Out function, and for Zoom In had to press the "<<" button which was almost entirely hidden by the Menu button. Vendor let me try MMPocketNav build 843, a WinCE version created for the Holux/Navi GPS -- this corrected the button functionality issue, but now the scale bar has disappeared entirely. They said my registry settings should allow the scale bar to always display. Have tried numerous aygshell's but still unable to get both correct button functionality and scale bar to work together. Otherwise the prog is working great. Anyone suggestions? Thanks in advance... Kirk
kmenden

New postby James on Thu 10 Apr 2008 07:43

Escher wrote:I just want to install one offroad navigation software. Wat programme is the best that run on the loox N100 for example Memory map, nonigpsplot, ozixplorer etc etc etc. What are the advantageen disadvantage of each programme.

Hello, well, complex question:

soft:

Memory Map is not bad, takes proprietary map format, BUT you will have to pay for the maps, but they exist, and there is not need for any manipulation to have them work. Best for UK and France, not sure for other countries. Little down side, traces are lost if you crash program. The traces are excellent, and the PC software will enable you to replay your trace in 3d (or plan routes on PC, etc, etc ...)

OZI explorer on pocket pc takes only proprietary format (.map calibration file and .ozfx2 image file) but there are a lot of converters. BUT the outpout on the loox is not Great... On the other side, there are lots of maps to be found and used ! The PC software is OK too, but I prefer globally the simplicity of the memory map solution.

NoniGpsplot takes an ozi simplified map format (only 4 calibration points) and a .jpeg, .png or .bmp image format. The traces are saved between crahses (or battery loss), there is a great dash board, statistics, and it can import and export routes and traces from google earth...it is just that you will need to obtain/convert maps by yourself.

The only other I could run is PathAway, but then I had no map to run on it so...

kmenden:

Hmm strange, I run 5.1.3 for europe, and did not have such problem. The only thing not working is the green arrows, which put my screen in a state where there is no menus anymore.

hope this helps...
James

New postby Escher on Thu 10 Apr 2008 09:06

Thanks for your information I think i’m going for NoniGpsplot. Can you tell also something about Turbo GPS, Gpstuner, fugawi and Pathaway.

If I try some programs and I find out that the programmes don’t work. Is there a lot crap left behind on the loox N100 after I deinstall the programmes.

By the way have you already tried the Li-polymer batteries (GPS passion) “As for battery life, you'll find Li-polymer batteries on sale on ebay for the loox n100/n110. I have one on order, i'll tell you if it really gets more life...”
Escher

New postby James on Thu 10 Apr 2008 09:18

Lion-polymer: forget it, they give less battery time than the original one !

Yes, most of these can be tried, as most are shareware or have a demo version.

When you uninstall using Control Panel->Remove Application, it may be wise to delete the program directory first (in `program files for most, \oziexplorer for oziexplorer, and this will leave almost no trace...

Turbo GPS, Gpstuner : I probably tried, and probably something was wrong, cant remember what though!
Fugawi : no zoom on display = absolutely useless
Pathaway : works, but did not have any map. looks like a good soft.
James

Re: MMPocketNav scale bar display issue solved

New postby kmenden on Sat 12 Apr 2008 19:22

Hi James, I went back and looked at your Mon 04 Feb 2008 18:49 post showing 25K topo displayed on the Loox screen, and noticed no task bar was showing. Went into Taskbar & Start Menu settings and unchecked "Always on Top" and voila! problem solved. Note also with MMPocketNav v5.2.5 and aygshell listed in my earlier post, the "<<" button that hides/unhides the button bar to maximize map display works great, too. Thanks again for all the help. =D=
Kirk
kmenden

New postby laramie12 on Sun 27 Apr 2008 23:42

James,

How did you input your registration number on nunigps on the loox n100, when I go to the "about" screen i have that box but no way of inputting the numbers Anthony emailed me. Also I see that you have a tomtom icon on your desk top how did you get it there? My tomtom only loads through windows explorer and only works in portrait mode, kind of strange. Every software link you have given has worked flawlessly and the interface works pretty good, what if i wanted to change the color of the background? Thanks in advance
laramie12

New postby James on Mon 28 Apr 2008 05:49

Hi, good ! all colour, icons, are defined in the ini files in program files\shell

The tomtom icon, I will attach here, later today.

For the registration number, mmmm, i think I klicked somewhere and used the virtual keyboard, but cannot remember where.
Attachments
Icons.zip
a lot of useful icons
(2.9 MiB) Downloaded 76 times
James

New postby matt_cyr on Mon 28 Apr 2008 17:46

click on the about button in nonigps to access the spot to input the registration number.
Edit: sorry, meant to change the post before i actually posted.
What i meant to say was that i can enter when i click on the about button in nonigps.
what version are you using?
matt_cyr

New postby matt_cyr on Tue 06 May 2008 16:28

I have posted some modified skins over on the gpspassion forums for the pocket Loox devices.
You can find them here: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=71114&whichpage=22
They are based off of Ospreys MioPocket skins and modified for the loox.
matt_cyr

New postby gmack on Fri 06 Jun 2008 21:52

Hi!

I have modified my loox with the files James posted, MN6-update.cab, Install-Shell-2.cab. the file Install-Shell-2.cab contains some errors that i fixed so now it should install correctly. here is the fixed file: http://rapidshare.com/files/118399558/Install-Shell-3.cab

also i have made an cab file where i upgraded the versions of some programs and the shell has been reorganized (not altered)
the changes files are

MortScript 4.1 (did not go for the 4.11b7)
Port Splitter 1.11
BananaPC 4.2c

http://rapidshare.com/files/120595554/I ... hell-4.cab

I hope they are to some use...

/gmack
gmack

New postby James on Fri 06 Jun 2008 22:33

great gmack, thanks a lot for the update, I am sure people will find it useful !
James

New postby AVee on Mon 30 Jun 2008 19:01

James wrote:...
I forgot a big down side: it runs fucking windows :realevil: , real paradise would be the same under linux :yoman: :lmao:

I just dropped by this topic googling for some gps info. But if you actually want a open GPS device running linux you should check out the OpenMoko Freerunner. It has just been shipped to the first resellers this week, and the appears to be a rush, so it might to some time to get your hands on one, but it does run linux. And it has 640x480 high dpi display and gps built in. Even though it's mainly marketed as a phone (it has GSM, Bluetooth and Wifi as well), it has all the potential to become a really cool GPS device. It's not one of those locked down linux devices either, openness is it's major selling point. So it will run whatever sotfware someone chooses to write for it. Currently there is a car navigation solution (NavIt) and a mapping application using maps from the Open Street Map project (tangoGPS). It will also take a micro-sd card for storage, so it could store op to 8GB of maps on the device.

It's mainly marketed as a phone, but I'm actually mostly buying it for it's GPS potential. There are lots of interesting idea's for this device and a price of Eur 299,- does not seems that much for a totally open GPS device that also browse the web and make phone calls...
Before you start spending money: Tthe software is not all done, you should expect some tweaking and lots of updating in the comming months. For me thats simply part of the fun, but if you want a fully polished device you should wait a bit longer.
AVee

PreviousNext

Return to Do it yourself