The DIY Open GPS

Making things, reuse tips and tricks of all sorts.

The DIY Open GPS

New postby James on Sat 02 Feb 2008 15:23

So, after some time looking at what the market offers and finding it too expensive or inapropriate, because most systems are either proprietary, designed to make you pay the maps at the price of gold, or always missing some function, incompatible with other stuff, etc... No real good road and outdoor solution. This is true for navigation and moving maps outdoors systems.

(computer knowledge required for the rest)

So I found for a reasonable amount a little PNA ( Personal Navigation Assistant, as opposed to PDA, does not give access to the system), but which can easily be unlocked, and then it is pure happiness, close to nirvana :levitate: or not far :lmao:

The Fujitsu Siemens Loox n100 is small (2.8" touch screen), runs wince in reduced version, runs Navigating software Navigon (the slowest of all, but allso the one with the best database), weight 114 grammes, runs between 5 and 8 hours on a changeable li-ion battery, charges on a usb port, has a mini sd port which takes the 4Gb cards, and more than anything, can be found between 80 and 120 euro on Ebay and other discounts/second hands. The screen works in landscape or portrait mode.

After a little hack (resetting with a certain a cab file on the sd) it enters ActiveSync mode and one can change and install soft.

Originally looking like this:

And here it is once customized:

Small:

Car navigating software::

The original Navigon Europe is slow to charge, and a bit clunky. It works, but it is terribly slow to start, and the maps are very big (But they contain more information, streets names that the others cannot find!).

Miomaps 3.2, good looking, euro map and soft on 1Gb, excellent and quick.

TomTom 6.10 the faster and easier to use, euro maps, a great soft, , very open (the only one where it is easy (and free) to add POI (Points of Interest).

Outdoor maps routing, plotting and tracing

NoniGPSPlot, a small French freeware, the best of all I tried, in French or English version, Plots on Jpeg maps, which can be extracted from google or scanned, they only need to be fragmented in small squares.

OZIExplorerCE, A very similar shareware which is very open ( a little less interesting as it takes only a proprietary format on ce, but there is translating soft). There is also an OZI explorer on PC so they can exchange information. A great option for displaying maps that can be obtained for free, or created)

MemoryMap V5 paying, but is great, specially the 1:25K french topos are available...Same story, there is a PC version to communicate with.

Apparentlyt, Pathaway GPS also runs.

Utilities

Sirftech to tune the GPS chipset.
A registry editor (regeditce)

It is possible with OZI and noniGPS to export traces in multiple formats including kml for visualization on google earth.

Base screen redesigned with SystemInformation

PC Soft :

Obtaining Maps:
GoogleMV (google Map viewer, a free russian soft to download google maps maps)
gMapMaker, another similar, less graphical, but more stable.
Please note that excess of Google maps downloading leads to IP blacklisting from google for a day or so. gmMapMaker turns around this by using a list of free net proxys.

Both extract maps in OZI/Noni compatible format.

It is also possible to scan paper maps and calibrate them, and there are a lot of free maps on the net.

Splitting in small squares for noni: (from the same site)
MaspSplit (free)

OZiexploreurPC (shareware) moving map plotter and calibrating:
Imgtoozf transforms a jpeg based ozi map in ozfx3 ozi native format, the only one accepted in the Ce version (free).

MemoryMap (commercial)
Touratech(commercial)
MapCalibrator(free)

A LOT of others, search the WEB!

For more details, search on the web, or on gpspassion.com which contains some good information (some in French some in English), there is also navigating..de in German.
ttp://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic ... hichpage=1
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topi ... ichpage=10
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topi ... C_ID=49458
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topi ... hichpage=1

This kind of modification can be applied to alot of little ce based PNA GPS including cheap Chinese.

The only down side compared with a garmin or magellan, is that it is not water resistant (waterproff transparent bag=7 euro!) To the base Model you must add the price of the SD card (I have Mico SD with adaptors, the 2GB works well, the 4Gb must be removed before reset, but else than that works marvel

For around 150 euro, it is a LOT cheaper than Garmin and other specialized software, and MUCH more open . The real price depends on the software you add ( :naughty: ), but, even counting that you pay the software, a tomtom is 100 euro, OZI 45, noni works marvel after a 10 donation, and it is still cheaper that a base Garmin... The SIRF III GPS chipset is one of the best ones on the market today, at least such is the word. It is precise, takes signal inside my house (near windows), so for the price, you get one of the best hardware possible.

The thing never really powers off unless the battery is removed, it just goes on standby. The hard reset will erase all new installed things in the main memory, but it is an exceptional not even documented except for flashing the ROM.

NB: as it runs on a Windows CE reduced version, not everything runs, here are only listed the successes.
Oh, yes, it is also an mp3 player, with or without headphones, as there is a built in loudspeaker, and a headset jack plug. It also plays avi and divx movies indeed. There is a calculator, a few stupid useless games, a clock alarm, etc...

Here it is, for your inspiration, i'll make an article out of it later...
James

Re: The DIY Open GPS

New postby LD on Mon 04 Feb 2008 15:48

I know this thread is about the equipment we need to stay "found", but you lost me right after the words DYI-GPS.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I fel like a dinosaur! :toldyou:
LD
OM Team
OM Team

New postby wildcat on Mon 04 Feb 2008 17:18

LD wrote:I kyou lost me right after the words DYI-GPS.

Me too. It looks like a neat system and i wouldn't mind having one. I need to become proficient with map and compass first though.
wildcat

New postby Taky on Mon 04 Feb 2008 18:14

:bow: :bow:

but now you can get lost inside the software :lmao: :lmao:

really really cool :banana:
Taky

New postby James on Mon 04 Feb 2008 18:39

:lmao: hum, well, I am a computer engineer :yup: :lmao:

Then a little education and vulgarisation in plain words cannot be bad, hope it will help you to get a picture:

Let's put this in plain words: a Gamin or Magellan that does the same than this unit costs around 300-400 $, and won't run the best software of the market, when this unit can be found for 100 $ or so, but needs some work to make it do it all.

But first what is a GPS:

You will find that a GPS can serve a few purposes:

- Enable you to drive on land roads from one place to another, giving verbal and visual instructions, that is a road navigating software. These are generally made by companies, a few representative of the market are Garmin, tomtom, mio, road66, navigon, the rest are minor. These generally contain vector representations of the roads, which are interpreted by the software to enable to drive you from point a to point b, knowing that you want to avoid paying roads, by example. Each system uses his representation and no compatibility (even if the providers of the maps are basically only two, Navtec and TeleAtlas) between any brand.

- Point on a map , marine, aerial, or topographical, where you are, eventually trace the places you went to, and guide you to follow a route that you made up yourself: that is a plotting/moving map software, it generally contains (raster) images of the maps, and plot your coordinates on it, using what is called a calibration between the image and the coordinates. Most of these systems are proprietary, some are open and allow you to scan any existing map, give the coordinates of each corner, and extrapolate how to display the image from there. Better, some allow you to take google maps or similar (FREE) dumps and plot you on these (satellite, road or topographic). We are still far from quality pure vectorial maps which would enable to free the image from the scale and save some space, but this will eventually happen one day. The trouble with bitmap/raster image being to compress the image enough to fit on a flash card, as with 25K topos by example, the number of bytes grows quick and a French department (there are almost 100 ) takes 300 Mb of space already in the best compressions.

-Act as a counter, speed, average speed, distance, altitudes.

-Warn you about sensible places (dangerous roads, fixed speed radars, known moving speed radar places, arrival to a special point when hiking....etc...) or about sensible facts (you are OVER 50 mph) for different activities.

-Record traces and data for later processing (heights, distances, paths, and eventually enable you to trace back or to display in a displaying software (in googleearth by example).

-To record moves of other persons, in which case the GPS signal is broadcasted one way or another. Used for retrieving stolen car or to manage floats of trucks...

As for generalities, a GPS gets a fixed position with the reception of a minimum 3 satellites, and needs 4 to obtain altitude information. (basic maths of 2D-3D triangulation explains why). It also gives you direction (and therefore is a basic compass, but only when you are moving. The down side is that a big tree canopy or deep valleys can stop the signal, so you want the most sensible system. Car navigating created it's own trouble as the car and athermic windscreens blocks a big part of the signal, so a lot of work has been done on chips enabling portable GPS car device to get a reception in most situations, and these chips are actually the top of the market, because their sensibility makes them winners outdoors between mountains, in a canyon or under a dense tree canopy. That is one of the reason why the unit I describe is interesting. As a reference, Garmin implemented only last year their "high sensibility GPS with SIRF III chips, the same as in the Fujitsu-siemens unit. In a few words, as far as hardware is concerned, the car GPS are more advanced.

Now indeed, any electrical device cannot be trusted, and a compass and a paper map are still a must.
Regarding this, it is actually good to check that the GPS can give you coordinates compatible with the map used. I have some maps in UTM and lamberts (euro coordinates/ french coordinates), and the smallest scale of degrees, minute and milli-minutes on it takes 40 cm, which is a pain to find the exact position, when UTM gives a 4 cm grid!

not sure it will help your understanding, but I tried :yup:

PS:Yo Taky, yes, it is some work, but the result is way cool, I have 3 guys from work doing their own now :lmao: :naughty:
James

New postby James on Mon 04 Feb 2008 18:49

Here is a 25K topo display:

I forgot a big down side: it runs fucking windows :realevil: , real paradise would be the same under linux :yoman: :lmao:

about the current market:

But it is better than a Magellan by example where you can only buy the constructor maps, between 100 and 200 $ the (reduced) set, and which cannot even be copied from a flash card to another, because the bastards (fucking frogs, Thales, the owner of magellan is French) block the software to operate only if the map is on the flash card it was shipped with... They attract you with a reasonable price (say 200$), but it comes with dummy empty maps and the maps of the region of your globe will cost already 200$ :nerves: .

Garmin is a bit more Open, and there are a lot of tools to upload a map to a Garmin, but there are garmin for car navigation and garmin for outdoors, and what one does the other does not, or not well, which seems stupid as it is just a question of software. In the past makers of VCR cameras were selling them without an input port so you could not use them to record the TV and had to buy a tv vcr, that is the same idea.

There are makers that build some dual solutions, but indeed it will cost. By example French IGN sells some road/outdoors combined solution, they come with 10 squares of 10 sq km of topo map for free and the rest is 0.10€ the square, a good deal for them (they are the makers of the only 25k French topo maps) as it will turn rapidly expensive. Magellan makes a "crossover", I had one in hands and quickly sold it, crap car navigation, poor land and marine navigation, with missing functions, like speed in car navigation, and a coordinate system other than degrees-minutes-seconds in land navigation. And this is what you can expect, to get some crappy soft on one of the two functions, or both, and have to pay a lot more than the unit to get maps of your area.

Having had a look, I decided that at the present moment, no pruduct is really satisfying out of the box, from any constructor.

So the hack here described takes all sense, in the terms that if nothing is good out of the box, then it need to be built by yourself, and you can choose the best software providers, and the solutions that are the most open, adapted to your needs, and for an amount of money that can be quite low, on a hardware which you pay at a normal price, because it is common. Can use maps you scan, maps you find on the net (and you will find more and more of these, initiatives like googlemaps, yahoomaps, terraserver, geoportail, are going eventually to bring all detailed maps for free, in some near future) , maps scanned by others (some copyrights may or may not apply) etc... Get evaluation versions, and decide what is usable, and use it, it is what I did. :yup: :wink2:

An additional comments is that units that are PDA, Edge, GPRS wifi bluetooth, GPS and GSM telephone, like the HTC one touch tyn (tyn-something, can't remember the total name) can be found second hand at around 400 euro. Expensive, but it would seem they would make a reasonable all in one solution too, if populated with the right software, and you could get much more out of them than from similar sized famous brand GPS, unless you are one of the lucky ones to live 100 % of your life outdoors, the GSM will certainly come handy.... May be robustness will not follow, but it may also be sufficient. My experience of Garmin by example is not that it is extremely resistant, as a unit I had came loosing batteries compartiment cover and making false contacts after nothing but normal use, not counting dead lines on the screen...
James

New postby James on Mon 18 Feb 2008 14:44

Just to show the cool things,

Here are two traces I made while Mountain biking during my "lunch breaks" at work.

They are loadable in google earth., save them in a folder, and if you have google earth installed, double click on them.
Attachments
Exp-080214-10,4km-.kml
a Google earth trace
(138.72 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Exp-080218-8,54km-.kml
another google earth trace
(119.38 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
James

New postby James on Mon 25 Feb 2008 19:19

James

New postby Taky on Mon 25 Feb 2008 19:37

Can you charge the batteries with a solar panel? how long do they last in basic usage mode?

I like the concept and form factor, but I was wondering how it would fare in expedition conditions?
Taky

New postby James on Mon 25 Feb 2008 20:13

Funny enough this article must have upset Google, because while it appeared for two days in good position when doing seaches on loox n100, or Build your GPS, it is now totally absent from Google indexing. I suppose it is not good to point to software that can extract their maps.

But do not worry, it is not like if google were the only guys on earth on the market of inline maps. There are a lot on map servers from which informations can be extracted, terraserver, yahoomaps and others !!!!

Still, it helps understanding their ways : see the internet as we wish you to see it, I must remember this perversion when searching in google, and must use other seearch engines simultaneously.

Pablo, the batteries last 4 hours with the backlight in permanence at the highest output. (a tad less if you listen to mp3 in the same time :lmao: ) With an automatic light off set at one minute you win an extra 2 to 4 hours. It depends if you do a full trace, so it is permanently switched, or if you let it on standby and light it for a point every now and so, in the later case it may last days.

But yes It charges in a few hours with my solar panel. Or you can use a 4 AA battery charger/usb supply that I bought on ebay in Hongkong for a few euro. I have no idea of the duration on the AA, but the li-ion battery is 1100mAh, and a single AA is 2500 mAh easilly, so, extrapolating gives days ! :yup:

On expedition, I suppose you'd need a PU bag to waterproof it (4.5 €, I tried, it works !), and frankly, I do not know, I need more testing. It is largely usable in my opinion.

I have used it while MTB ing, and It traces well even in my waterpouch bag. I have tried on hiking a bit, and the main factor may be that the screen is so small which may require the pen (a straw, bit of wood) for certain applications with small buttons, still not a big issue for me, but could be, wearing gloves in canada.... It is really very small ! On the other side, could be possible to choose a bigger unit with a 3.5 screen to do the same. Personally, I love it this way, takes no space in the pocket, can be used any day to go somewhere by car, land or boat, easy and quick to charge...
James

New postby Taky on Mon 25 Feb 2008 20:27

I like the maps on a programable unit... not replacing the paper maps, but as I need to tote a GPS anyway, why not making searching for a portage much easier...

Then if is sunny I can hear some music while I eat my weekly treat (I tend to carry something really good to eat once at week, some chocolate or so) :yup:

In expedition I only turn the GPS on when needed (3-4 times at day), or in key points. The garmin 60 batteries last up to 3-5 weeks that way (depending if rechargeable or alkaline)

I can hold a bear claw with the gloves to operate the unit :B :B

But by the time I set off again, I'm sure new units will be available and and with luck I'll be able to avoid the windows...
Taky

New postby James on Mon 25 Feb 2008 20:38

yeah, 3/4 times a day, need to try, may last a week or so. I still need to play with this thing to understand what it can do, yet so far, it is much more and much better than the Garmin III I had before, no doubt !
James

New postby James on Tue 04 Mar 2008 20:25

to rainer: I run a combination of some of these dlls on the loox n100.
Attachments
arm.zip
(562.07 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
coredll.zip
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 189 times
DLLs.zip
(3.2 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
dummydll.zip
(33.79 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
James

New postby James on Tue 04 Mar 2008 21:29

Some will like this, here is an extremely quick way to unlock a loox N100 or N110 with some freeware preinstalled, in particular, it contains a differential of dlls and files needed on the system to run most of software you will need. You will indeed need to purchase and install yourself the said software.

Readme.txt:

Code: Select all
This is an extra quick way to unlock and prepare a Loox:
This suppose you are in Version 1.57, if not, please apply the update from the fujitsu-siemens site !

to unlock, copy the MN-update.cab on the SD card, reset the loox twice.

You should be now in Window CE, connect the loox to an activesync PC

Using ActiveSync "Explore",

Copy "Program Files"  to the "\Program Files" of the loox.
rename in \windows the file aygshell.dll to aygshell.dll2
Copy Windows to the \Windows of the loox. if any other dll "already in use" conflict, rename the loox dll and copy again.

Now you only need to install Mortscript (from running MortScript-4.0RC4-PNA.exe)

and here it is , your loox is ready for further programs installation.

You will need to edit \Program Files\Shell\Shell.ini Where SystemInformation is, in order to add or remove icons for the applications you need. this cqn be done by copying it to the PC editing, and copying it back. Icons are in the icons directory. If you obtain on the net a copy of SystemInformation, there is a win32 utility to view the result of the ini file on a PC and help design the shell.ini on the PC.

By default, bananapc is installed to enable quick control of sound and applications. by letting the pen on it, a menu willpull up, and it can be setup to your needs.

Port Splitter is also installed to enable sharing the GPS NMEA port (com4 at 9600) between applications.

Also two MN6 cabs in \program files will enable you to quickly switch between active sync and usb mass storage mode by installing them.

In case of major fuck up, the original loox can be recovered by setting the screen on hold, and pushing the standby (off) button while inserting q pen for in the reset slot. Then follow instructions and pushhold down and loose everything you ever changed in the factory reset, or hit reset to cancel and wimp out.

Good fun

Plead comment, questions, report bugs and related, in this very thread.
Attachments
Unlock.zip
please read the readme.txt for instructions.
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 693 times
Last edited by James on Fri 07 Mar 2008 18:11, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: a few typos in the readme of the zip...
James

New postby Escher on Fri 07 Mar 2008 07:39

Hello I use navigon 6.5 with realview on my loox N100. This navigon version runs only in landscape mode and there is no exit bottom to go to the main panel. The only way to go to the main panel is through a reset. Is it possible to modify the loox N100 with navigon 6.5. And if its possible who can I manage this.
Escher

New postby James on Fri 07 Mar 2008 09:05

Hello and welcome, the only thing I can think of is to customise it, and to change the menuscreens.
maybe installing bananapc could be enough to kill navigon 6.5..
James

New postby Escher on Fri 07 Mar 2008 13:04

I can give it a shot. But can I use your unlock procedure and run navigon in landscape mode. Because the programs that you are using are not in landscape.
Escher

New postby James on Fri 07 Mar 2008 14:16

My loox works in both landscape and portrait mode to the exception of 1 prog.

OK, this an even simpler unlocking: (warning, yet untested)
unlocking done with two cabs, and a PROPER working unlocking cab. Base noni maps included.

Code: Select all
This is an extra quick way to unlock and prepare a Loox:
This suppose you are in Version 1.57, if not, please apply the update from the fujitsu-siemens site !

to unlock, copy the MN6-update.cab and Install-Shell.cab on the SD card root, reset the loox twice.

You should be now in Window CE, connect the loox to an activesync PC

You now need to go in explorer and double click Install-Shell.cab, This will pre install the utilities.

And here it is , your loox is ready for further programs installation.
I have let the original cabs and install files in "Tools".

You can also install Noni (english or french from the directory Tools) and unpack the maps ("tout nonigpsmaps") on your SD

You will need to edit \Program Files\Shell\Shell.ini Where SystemInformation is, in order to add or remove icons for the applications you need. this cqn be done by copying it to the PC editing, and copying it back. Icons are in the icons directory.
The included SystemInformation32.exe allows if placed in the shell directoy on a PC to check and view the result from the ini files.

By default, bananapc is installed to enable quick control of sound and applications. by letting the pen on it ict can be setup to uour needs.

Port Splitter is also installed to enable splitting the GPS NMEA port (com4 at 9600) between applications.

Total commander is installed, to allow quick manipulations of the file system and registry

Also two MN6 cabs in "\program files" will enable you to quickly switch between active sync and usb mass storage mode by installing them.

In case of major fuck up, the original loox can be recovered by setting the screen on hold, and pushing the standby (off) button while inserting a pen in the reset slot. Then follow instuctions and pushhold down and loose everything you changed in the factory reset, or hit reset to cancel.

Good fun

again, untested, so comments :ouch: and testing welcomed! (though it shall work, in theory :hum: ) :wink2:

UPDATED 26-03-2008 Install_shell.cab was missing banana PC and startup... replacement called install-shell-2.cab
UPDATED 10-04-2008 I had time to test the method. the install-shell-2.cab will not install bananaPC and mortscript and total commander correctly, it is therefore recommended to install them from the tools.zip file.
Attachments
MN6-update.cab
This cab unlocks a Loox n100/n110. Enables activesync, and unlike it's predecessor that I obtained I cannot remember where and installed a shitty ayshell.dll, this one installs all needed dlls to run (AND USE!) most applications !
(946.75 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
readme.txt
The read me
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
Tools.zip
Contains the original cabs, bananapc systemInformation, totalcommander, BUT also nonigpsplot french and english, and small set of noni gps maps from noni site.
(44.57 MiB) Downloaded 663 times
Install-Shell-2.cab
This preinstalls some stuff, system Information, BananaPC, etc... I had time to test the method. the install-shell-2.cab will not install bananaPC and mortscript and total commander correctly, it is therefore recommended to install them from the tools.zip file
(4.06 MiB) Downloaded 529 times
James

New postby James on Fri 07 Mar 2008 18:19

Escher wrote:I can give it a shot. But can I use your unlock procedure and run navigon in landscape mode. Because the programs that you are using are not in landscape.

Escher, what I would do is the following:

pick the first "unlock zip from this tread.

In /programs files, it contains a MN6-update-enable-activesync.cab, copy to root of SD as MN6-update.cab
reset
install bananapc.exe from the tools.zip from this thread
/programs files, of unlock.zip, contains a MN6-update-disable-activesync.cab, copy to root of SD as MN6-update.cab
reset

At this point, your loox should be with the original interface PLUS bananapc running, which will enable you to kill navigon when needed.
James

New postby denniegst on Mon 10 Mar 2008 20:51

The second and third picture you posted, is that the WinCE destop you modified it to? How did you make it look like that. I'm new I just got a n100 and gathering everything from apps to info before I start customizing it. Thanks
denniegst

New postby James on Mon 10 Mar 2008 22:15

Yes, that is the SystemInformation desktop, nice little program that enables to place icons and make menus by editing ini(s) file(s).It is included in both customizing methods I give in this thread.

Anyway, customising is reversible, as it will not survive a hard reset.
James

New postby denniegst on Tue 11 Mar 2008 04:19

Which ini files do you modify and which program do you do it with? I've downloaded both your method.
denniegst

New postby James on Thu 13 Mar 2008 18:32

hello, all ini files under "programs files\shell" edit them using notepad, after copying on PC using activesync.
James

Re: The DIY Open GPS N100

New postby pip38 on Fri 21 Mar 2008 16:16

Hi All - just joined.

I have bought a Fujitsu Seimens N100 and loking to unlock so I can add Memory Map for my mother (shes a keen rambler)

Trying to unlock the N100 -updated to the lastest firmware from Fujitsu - uploaded the first cab - then attached N100 to active sync - all going fine - for some reason it will not let me copy any files to the files on the N100 - I know I need to copy over the files in this link to the program file on the N100 but active sync does not seem to let me copy any files at all onto the N100.

Have I missed somethign really simple.

Can anyone help ??? - thanks Phil
pip38

New postby James on Sat 22 Mar 2008 09:11

Mmmmmm

First, does active sync works ? I have only ever used 4.5.

When it connects, there is a short message appearing on the loox itself. and on the PC it tell is is going to set your device as Guest (because you miss the outlook stuff), but then you can use "explore", and should see the whole loox tree, including windows, program files, storage card... Some times active sync does strange things and you need to plug-unplug it to synchronise, also it only works when a SD card is inserted.

The trouble is that I am not 100% sure of the second cabs I posted, because I do not wish to reset my only loox to validate them. if you still encounter problems, perform a hard reset, and try again using the first method.

Hope this helps...
James

New postby GPShelp on Wed 26 Mar 2008 19:58

Thanks for all the cabs and files. But I'm still having some trouble trying to get it to look like your screen. I was able to get it to the CE windows, but that's about it. It keeps telling me it can't find bananaPC :banana: or one of it's library files. I tried going into activesync pc and clicked on the install.cab, it reinstalls, but I still get the error missing or can't find bananPC :bah: . I also tried double clicking and installing the install.cab without the activesync, by just installing it in the Loox unit itself. Could you give me an idea of what I'm doing wrong. I copied both files onto the root directory, reset twice and got into CE, then I connect it to windows xp with activesync installed. I then go and find the file on Loox double click and it installs. but then still no BananaPC (I'm assuming this is the important file to get the loox to look like yours. Anymore input would be appreciated. Thanks a lot, and keep up the good work.
GPShelp

New postby James on Wed 26 Mar 2008 20:44

Mmmm, I'd need to test the cab but don't want/have time to reinitialize my loox...

The install-shell.cab I checked, and it was missing some stuff, including banana-pc and the startup links, please retry with the updated version, sorry !Updated version reuploaded in the original post, called install-shell-2.cab.

Try with the updated version here:

http://outdoors.magazine.free.fr/forums/dow ... hp?id=2569

Or install banana PC from the tools.zip (running the installation exe on the pc), and create a link from \program files\shell\systeminformation.exe to \windows\startup (using file explorer, create shortcut)
Because that is all you are missing.

else if this still fails, try the first method I gave, from this zip: (no need to perform the unlocking part)

http://outdoors.magazine.free.fr/forums/dow ... hp?id=2553

and follow the copy method described in the read me, in particular the copy of program files and windows/startup directories

Bananapc is just a small program killer, to be able to exit from any screen. the display is managed by SystemInformation...
James

New postby GPShelp on Wed 26 Mar 2008 23:28

I figured out how to get it look like yours, but only following your first instructions. Not the one with the quicker method of copying both the install and update cabs. The second method doesn't seem to work it looks like it's installing, but then when you reset the software doesn't load or it can't find the exe program or it's missing stuff. like for BananaPC. Right now following the instructions for the first method works, but the NoniGPSlot and MMPocketNav don't work. is there a way for me to install siriftech or Memory Map Sirf Setup without the rest of your install.cab programs???? Thanks again. You is the genius for helping us all out.
GPShelp

New postby James on Thu 27 Mar 2008 06:38

Ok, i'll have a look to this cab...

Look in the tools.zip, all is there...except memorymap sirf thingy which is to be found on MemoryMap site at: http://www.memory-map.com/MMSirfSetup.exe

Else all the information in here has been found on the net, mainly in GPSPassion.com. :wink2: But I am happy to help if I can.
James

New postby GPShelp on Thu 27 Mar 2008 18:17

Thanks a lot for the link Jim, I managed to get mmsirfsetup working. I turned off static navigation and went for a walk. It does seem better than it used to. But there are still moments when the navigator would stall. I'm assuming this is a software limitation. Did you change the OS completely to say tomtom 6? because for me, although better than it used to be, it still is a little slow. example I would walk right into my destination and the mobilenavigator6 would still be telling me I had 400 feet to go. and I would need to sometimes walk a block for the united to recalculate, but sometimes it would actually recalculate within a few feet and I could see myself moving little by little. A long time ago I tested out a magellon personal navigator in NYC and it was perfect I would literally see myself moving stride for stride on the street. I know the static is off because when I simply turn the unit different degrees it would change on the compass (maybe I should use siriftech to adjust it even more?). Where as on my navigon 2100 it would remain static. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Probably if I went biking the unit would work perfectly considering a bike is faster than walking but still not as fast as a car. Anymore input would be great. Thanks for all your help Jim. :bow:
GPShelp

Next

Return to Do it yourself