Simple versatile scandi sheath for small knives

Making things, reuse tips and tricks of all sorts.

Simple versatile scandi sheath for small knives

New postby James on Wed 09 Jan 2008 16:41

Simple to make for small knives.

A Scandi style sheath, wet shaped, 4 holes, and a lace.

Allows horizontal carry

And Vertical.

The lace can be adjusted for more or less slag. It is a quick way to do a compact sheath for a small knife, and it will allow to be clamped, carried in pocket, hanging on a neck lace, at the belt, horizontal, vertical or angled. It is also an easy modification to existing sheaths (a drill, 4 holes...).
James

Re: Simple versatile scandi sheath for small knives

New postby wildcat on Thu 10 Jan 2008 15:22

awesome idea James! i'm gonna try that on my next sheath. :nanadance:

Can you do a quick tutorial on how you get the point of the sheath to curve out?

Thanks
wildcat

New postby James on Thu 10 Jan 2008 16:58

Well, just make a normal sheath cut to follow the outline of the knife, with 1 or 1.5 cm , extra, (check the handle will fit by marking it's diameter, rolling the handle on the leather, add a cm in lenght to what you would like, as some will be lost in the tip ) then dip it in water, mark the with the roll, make the holes, sew normally (easier and faster to sew wet leather, pull well the stitches, as wet leather shrinks).

Then with the knife in plastic film inserted, roll the sheath, the tip will turn up naturally as the leather follows the edge (do not push to strongly, but make sure the leather follows the edge all the way or the most possible (depends on blade/handle shapes), this way it is very difficult to force the edge though when it will be finished!). When you make the leather follow the tip of the edge, the sheath tip will quite naturally curve up. Cut the extra useless leather after the seam, only let 1 or 2 mm, and finish the shape.

I then make the holes, inserting a wooden batton to stop the plug.

Then let dry slowly (naturally) with knife in (so protect the blade with oil and plastic film, add or change the film for drying as molding and forming generally makes the edge cut the film against the leather. Do not force dry by heat or wind, as it makes the leather shrink more.

It is possible to drop a spoon of shellac inside the sheath and make the liquid run carefuly along the edge side to harden the leather, or wet it in a soda (either baking soda or normal soda) solution, which hardens the leather and blocks the acid of the tanning, which is good for the blade, but I prefer the shellac as it makes a hard leather against the edge..

I'll try to make pictures for the next one.

:wink2:
James

New postby wildcat on Thu 10 Jan 2008 18:01

thanks
wildcat

Return to Do it yourself