More fire discussion

Bushcraft, woodcraft and primitive ways and skills for living in the wilderness, as well as survival.

More fire discussion

New postby wildcat on Mon 13 Oct 2008 12:34

So i went searching for fatwood after reading Taky's post. couldn't find any that was still moist with resin. they were all way too dry and would not take a spark. so i started playing around with a pine in my back yard that is a target for the hatchet throwing. it is oozing sap. so i picked a piece of wood out of one of the wounds and made a tiny fuzz stick out of it. it caught a spark and started burning.

I set a clump of sap soaked pine bark about the size of a golf ball beside it and it burned for a good 10 minutes.

then i pulled out some birch bark that i had been saving. i crumpled it up in a pile and threw sparks on it.

Birch bark caught the sparks easier than the pine, but it burns up very fast so you better have your set up ready. i pushed another piece of sap soaked pine bark beside the birch and it too burned for a good while.

it was an informative lesson. it may be unrealistic to find wounded pines while out in the forest. i guess it just depends on where you are. our woods are loaded with pines, so it's possible.

thanks

:corsair:
wildcat

Return to Bushcraft, Primitive use of natural resources