A night in the forest and pictures

Hikes, tracks, trails, walks, climbings, wilderness reports, vehicles, camping, landscape pictures and trip reports...

A night in the forest and pictures

New postby jest on Tue 20 May 2008 10:41

Just to kick-start this thing, I'll do a bit of a gear review as well.
Sleeping out in the woods, close to home. I do this everytime I buy something new (or second hand), just to give it a quick test:

-New -15C/0F down bag (very nice, water-repellant outer, and the black just looks cool)
-Cheapo foam mat (thermarests get punctures too quickly on forest floors, for my tastes)
-Khukri (great blade, but noisy to use in a country where bivvying is illegal)
-New Tefal set of pans (great, cheaper than msr and such, but obviously much more expensive than army surplus, the strainer/lid combination is handy)
-Refurbished Optimus hunter (great, except that I forgot my little squeezy bottle with meths to prime it)
-Old Berghaus external frame pack (bought for 2 euros at a second hand shop, worked well, comfortable, the PU coating is disintegrating though, covering everything on the inside with fine powder)
-The red thing is an MSR dromlite 2 litre water carrier, works quite well.
-MSR lite panlifter, with some duck tape to protect the teflon of the pans.
-Part of my pants leg, the North Face apex trousers (bought 2 at a distributors sale, for 20 euros, comfortable but ugly)
-Lowa tibet GTX hiking boots (bought for cheap as well, I love having connections ;) great)

-Army surplus poncho, functioning as a tarp (bought last month for 7 euros, just big enough for one, but the small size makes it a little trickier to find a good spot to pitch, woodland camo is nice for here, shame there isn't a grommet close to the hood, which would make it easier as a tarp, but obviously leaky as a poncho)
-Berghaus freeflow III, 35 ltr pack (has some good features, not durable enough)
-Due South synthetic summer sleeping bag (7C/45F optimistic, it was very cheap and is quite well-made, just very thin and light)
-Meta 71 esbit stove (tiny, beautifully designed and made (swiss), paid 50 cents for it, works well but is too small for most things, used it to heat up some left over couscous)
-Sea to summit polycarbonate spoon (light, indestructible, doesn't damage teflon pans)
-Sausage (tasty)
-Fruitkeks (biscuits), good, hearty snack
-Victorinox centurion (army surplus, not bad but the can opener is worn down to almost nothing)
-Part of my pants leg, Fjallraven Karl, G-1000 pants with a slightly more modern cut, very comfortable, fast-drying, not as hard-wearing as their other trousers though.
-New Balance 892s (gore-tex, meant for nordic walking. Bought them on sale, just wanted some low GTX shoes. They're actually very comfortable and obviously much lighter than hiking boots, let more ticks in though).

There we go.
jest

Re: A night in the forest and pictures

New postby James on Tue 20 May 2008 13:22

Hi friend, I just made your post a thread, well worth it ;
James

New postby jest on Tue 20 May 2008 18:42

Thanks! I guess...
jest

New postby mariobab on Thu 29 May 2008 19:29

Thanks for sharing.I do almost the same with now equipment,can`t wait weekend to test it,doesn't matter was it knife,axe,tarp,machete or just fresh self made super cat stove.
mariobab

Return to Pathways and blogs