My donkey!

Hikes, tracks, trails, walks, climbings, wilderness reports, vehicles, camping, landscape pictures and trip reports...

My donkey!

New postby Taky on Fri 21 Sep 2007 11:09

I just call him "donkey" and is pretty good to carry my food. Here was just a 3 days trip, so on the way back he could enjoy the benefits of my 500$ backpack. Normally I can load 25kg during normal journeys, and about 20 on long ones.
As all other donkeys is stubborn and noisy, but it seem to like me, specially if i carry food or a brush. Hates mud, don't like rain (and loves my tarp), specially at night and has try almost everything to avoid work, from dropping the load on a ravin, to roll over my muesli bars... or even eat them when I turn my head for a second.
Some swearing and as kicking the first days :bang: , but now he seem happy to move camp, and just follow the routine mountain after mountain. Form a lazy pig it seem to become a good donkey and I may do good on the resale.

Today, after 3 days away getting a new visa in town, he made a lot of noise and running when he saw me... maybe he knew I had a new brush and corn flour for him.

Only a month left in China... decided to call back to NZ and work hard on the next big adventure. Tomorrow I leave for the last and long trekking towards a little visited or inhabited area in eastern Tibet border. The donkey will find a new home once I've eaten the load: the end of a beautiful journey, and a long life dream of trekking with a donkey.

Will leave behind a bit of myself, a lot of busyness opportunities, great friends... and a lot more to discover: hardly scratched the surface!

Donkeys are great for trekking, easy to feed on the road, easy to care after, and terribly friendly. A bit slow on the walking side, specially if like here there are small animals, but gives you plenty of time to enjoy the views and to care about your knees.

Taky

Re: My donkey!

New postby James on Fri 21 Sep 2007 12:25

Wa, mate, I think that you are having great time there !. Looks like a good donkey, even if he is a muesli muncher :lmao:
Man, good trek on the Tibet border ! Look forwrd to hear more you very soon with a lot of similar stories :wink2:
James

New postby Taky on Fri 21 Sep 2007 14:08

Well, It was supposed to be IN Tibet, but some officials become suspicious of someone with out a guide or porters... so only playing at the border this time: no permits on the time I have left!

Still! an excellent local guide, good friend, just set me up a trekking with good bear and tiger populations... even snow panthers on the area! 21 days of remote tropical jungle and mountains, where local people tattoo they faces and wild tastes like real wilderness. Original forest all the way... so plenty of fun ahead as long as the weather behaves and pests are not to annoying.

If is sunny, we will have pictures!

gear ready... getting some more fat on before the next 21 days. Tomorrow donkey takes truck,a dn that promisses a lot of "Fun"
Taky

New postby James on Fri 21 Sep 2007 14:11

Sounds good, have fun for us mate!
James

New postby kolekojot on Fri 21 Sep 2007 16:38

It sounds like you ahve a lott of fun.. Keep doing that :D
kolekojot

New postby ssj on Fri 21 Sep 2007 17:30

That donkey looks like he could have a mean streak! :lmao:
Steve
ssj

New postby Stew on Fri 21 Sep 2007 20:23

Well, I would never trust a donkey. :lmao: That one really does look like he'll turn on you at any moment. All that 'bad work' is just him trying to break you!!

Seriously though, I bet trekking at donkey pace is great. After all, why rush it?
Stew

New postby Robert Mayo on Fri 21 Sep 2007 21:07

Well i must say you have a nice ass :nana: LOOKS like everything is going great and you are having a good time keep us up to date.
Bob :thumb:
Robert Mayo

New postby omniviking on Sun 23 Sep 2007 13:44

paint yourself green and get a nice scottish broge and you could be SHREK and that is DONKEY, no that's been done. anyhow, this looks like it is becoming a trip of a lifetime. I am enjoying all your reports. Pat
omniviking

New postby Taky on Wed 24 Oct 2007 05:10

the donkey was sold at the end... pretty sad!

Donkeys are no goats, so durring the last track I couldn't leave the track to enjoy the best camp spots. Magnificent trip, but a lot of sadness seeing local attitudes towards wildlife...

Finally a local show me the 5th gear... he told me to gently put all my best feelings at the end of my boot. Just after I discovered that the donkey don't like to follow or be ahead, the best was to force him to the inside of the path and when possible walk next to him... that way it could trot for a few km at my normal walking speed with out the need for extra motivation.
Some days we covered well over 40km... what for a loaded donkey is pretty good!

I don't think I'll ever buy a donkey again... mules for expeditions, backpack for the rest! he does carry the food, but requires a lot of care, attention and set limits to where you can get. In a few instances the path got to chalenging, and I needed to juggle the packs and the donkey on exausting exercices. is a bit like trekking with a kid: is different, enjoyable but different!

Lost a bit on the resale, but at least is not ending up on a restaurant plate... (donkey serving restaurants are common place in that area).
Taky

New postby RobertRogers on Tue 06 Nov 2007 23:02

Thank you for sharing!
RobertRogers

New postby Almtnman on Sat 10 Nov 2007 16:24

Looks like that donkey came in handy for packing a lot of equipment!
Almtnman

New postby Taky on Sun 11 Nov 2007 00:42

A lot of food, equipment was hardly 8kg and on my back... places to get proper food are dificult to come by on those areas.
Taky

New postby hollowdweller on Tue 12 Feb 2008 19:43

Here's mine:

hollowdweller

New postby 41houndhunter on Tue 19 Feb 2008 19:28

Lets vote on which one looks more comical,the donk,or Hollow. :wow: :B :B :B :yup: :nana: :nana:
41houndhunter

New postby jolie on Wed 06 Aug 2008 04:28

info from the aluo guy said our donkey, he is quite strong and now living in the area where we did last trekking in the forest of one of the high mountain ,the quite cold area, be happy for him, love for him
jolie

Return to Pathways and blogs