Pictures from the first trek in Yunnan.

Hikes, tracks, trails, walks, climbings, wilderness reports, vehicles, camping, landscape pictures and trip reports...

Pictures from the first trek in Yunnan.

New postby Taky on Fri 10 Aug 2007 04:15

Stones are prayers in here

A bridge over the Mekong river, and a monastery over the side. Prety dry over there... After my adventures thought Laos It was emotive to met Naga (the Mekong dragon) again.

The view on the other side of the valley. the Distances are huge and it takes a few days to adapt to the fact it takes sooooo long to reach the places you see.

People like axe work on those forums... how about that???

One of our camp sites, a holowed pine base and fern as bedding...

and my guide, proving they you don't need to be hairy and stinky to be a good guide :)

the mountians... but that trip was too busy and cloudy to take much pictures.

A village on the distance. Those big houses are the traditional Tibetan houses, big enough to keep their animals indoors during the winter months. Inside they are pretty impressive, specially the guest room, but normally I'm too busy drinking, eating and trying to make sense of the conversation to even attempt to take a picture.

Then are those small huts... We used them for shelter under heavy rains during following other trips.

Rivers can be terribly impressive... this one keep me distracted enough to miss on what was coming ahead!!!

After a few hours following an impressive canyon, the river had a channel... distracted and wondering who the hell would need water on those remote areas, I find myself in here:

the path get's soooooo narrow (only a few spots where I had the nerve to take pictures), a channel on one side, and a roaring precipice on the other... GREAT!!! Path is a big word, since what you see is mostly magically balanced rubble, and the fast flowing water doing is best to regain freedom. Hour after hour of precarious progress, and the sunset was underway.

Finally we could see the Mekong river... but this only means a few more hours of progress.

We got out of the canyon before the nigh, but even if it become less precarious, the path keep going along the Mekong until well passed mightnight when we finally found a platform wide enough to sleep. The village was another 2 hours away, but we left that for the next morning.

Time to enjoy a local restaurant. Ordering is easy: you choose your food from what you see...

And after a hot bath on a natural spring, we where of for 3 days of busses and guest houses to rejoin our base, and prepare the next trek.
Taky

Re: Pictures from the first trek in Yunnan.

New postby James on Fri 10 Aug 2007 08:18

Woah ! Looks just brilliant mate ! Thanks for taking the time to send us these fine pictures ! :Ahh:
James

New postby cegga on Fri 10 Aug 2007 08:42

Nice tripp you are on I hope to go to kina sometime myself before I am to old :toldyou: .
Hope to be a part of you tripp not in person but in your backpack soon :wink2: :wink2:
Thanks for the pics :shocked:
Cegga
cegga

New postby FinnMan on Fri 10 Aug 2007 10:39

Amazing pics and cute guide ;)
You definitely have nice time there!

Enjoy and take care!!
FinnMan

New postby Taky on Fri 10 Aug 2007 15:57

Time... It took 3 days fighting with photobucket to load the pictures. If anyone know a better service, please post a link :bang:

I hope so Cegga, thanks hips! you can expect a lot of feed back from that one :wink2: the trip is well worth it, even if is no fish :sad:

I have plenty more pictures from the second trip... and in 2 weeks we are back out there for more :B

you should see those internet cafes... floors and floors, with about a hundred seats each, and hundreds of people playing online games all night long, all weeked long... they sleep on the chairs fo a bit and keep going. :nogood: :nogood: :nogood:
Taky

New postby FinnMan on Sat 11 Aug 2007 07:14

I have been satisfied with: http://www.flickr.com photo service.
FinnMan

New postby Stew on Sat 11 Aug 2007 15:43

Cool.

What's the 'contraption'? A water powered saw?
Stew

New postby James on Sat 11 Aug 2007 17:57

James

New postby bushwacker bob on Sun 12 Aug 2007 23:28

James wrote:http://outdoors.magazine.free.fr/forums/upload.php

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Brilliant pictures of a place I am unlikely to ever see for myself,so thanks for posting them.
Very cute guide :Ahh:
bushwacker bob

New postby Taky on Mon 13 Aug 2007 01:52

Stew wrote:Cool.

What's the 'contraption'? A water powered saw?

yep! is a water mill. Not a nail nor a piece of wire: Each piece of wood fits so tightly somewhere that after all those years the structure is rock solid. I suppose that if you had nails, else than rust, each time the wood expands as it het's wet things would start to move and become loose.

There where more of those structures... normally prayer wells, where the hydraulic force keep turning a sort of cylinder with writen prayers.

I saw people working wood, I hope next trip spend some time learning local techniques. I'll first stop by a village that has keept a blacksmith tradition to make some tools to have somethign to share.

thanks for the good words and for the links... I have plenty more pictures to share.
Taky

New postby mcniac on Mon 13 Aug 2007 17:22

pablo, great pics, thank for posting em, i hope some day i'll go to some of those places :)

for the pics, you can try this too

http://picasaweb.google.com

Esteban
mcniac

New postby kiwiblade on Thu 16 Aug 2007 08:41

great pics,you always have something interesting :thumb:
kiwiblade

New postby Jimbo on Thu 16 Aug 2007 19:04

That is some trip!
The hewn timber in the waterwheel is something to see. That took some skill as the setup is almost a Pelton wheel. There would be a lot of pressure on those small blades, so fitting would have to be excellent in order for it to stay together for long. What is the sliding beam powering?
Jimbo

New postby matt on Thu 16 Aug 2007 21:56

A saw blade, Jimbo. The contraption is a water-wood-mill type doohickey.
matt

New postby jolie on Wed 06 Aug 2008 03:43

too later i just find these,many many stories there can't forget
i will be always with u after i am a ghost
no scare
i will be always with u
jolie

Return to Pathways and blogs