Rainy weekend in the woods

Hikes, tracks, trails, walks, climbings, wilderness reports, vehicles, camping, landscape pictures and trip reports...

Rainy weekend in the woods

New postby Taky on Sun 20 May 2007 23:33

I thought I share this weekend, and on the process introduce a new member to the bushcraft community.

We set to a forgotten piece of woods to practice some skills and trial some gear.

Since this was our first real trip together, It took some time to sort the gear, drive and buy a new torch for me (repellent accident :(). So we got to the woods late and once we reached the wild areas, shelter building was the main priority. Lack of much time, a simple leaned roof with walls covered in ferns did the job. Thought the night the weather men proved wrong and the rain forced us to drop the emergency tarp as the angle was not step enough to keep it waterproof. The underneath of those leaves is silver making for a great reflector, with some rotten logs reflecting the fire the camp was dry and warm. Still, summer is gone and I should have build a proper winter shelter!

Roasted jerky and kumara proved a hit for the dinner!

We slept too well :sleepy: , and after a night of constant rain I was pretty pleased to always carry some rubber pieces to revive the fire. The forest is almost exclusively composed of rewarewa, great burning but hard to split properly and shave long feathers (to brittle). We had dry wood and tinder, no proper kindling... we keep learning with each trip :toldyou:

Then we keep going thought the basics of sharp implements with lot's of carving, axe and golok cutting, battoning, splitting and finally compass navigation thought forests and environmental reading to get back on to the track and then the car.

The possum trapping will be for next time... the basics needed to be sorted!

Pretty good lessons learned for both of us, and fun times. But the best by far was to find a young fellow interested to learn and practice outdoors skills.

I have more pictures at home... post them later. I hope my trip companion will show up to share his impressions.

Typical summer shelter... with a golok it doesn't take long to build. For winter the fire is on the side, protected and the roof is stepper with thicker thatching.

Our packs ready to go, inside the shelter.
Taky

New postby Marc C on Mon 21 May 2007 02:47

looks like you had a great time Pablo.

I had intended to go out bush myself late last week & give my new Golok a work out, but due to poor health & weather it didn't happen. :poorme:

I am definitely going to have to get out sooner rather than later!

Keep the photos coming. :yup:

Cheers

Marc
Marc C

New postby Taky on Mon 21 May 2007 07:55

This is my fellow bushcrafter posing on the side of our shelter.

Fully enjoying the warmth of the fire... for snoring :yikes:

Piking up fast on skills, like tongs to pick sweet potato from the ashes :Ahh:

Fully infected with the axe virus...

And wood cracking noises :lmao:

Taky

Re: Rainy weekend in the woods

New postby Marc C on Mon 21 May 2007 23:55

Hi Pablo,

I seem to be having problems repling to your post.

Great photos.

It looks like to you had a nice time - with the exception of the snoring!!

Can you find sweat potatoe in the wild in NZ like some other south pacific islands / countries it has been introduced to or did you have to resort to "foraging" it from your local supermarket? :lol:

Marc
Marc C

New postby Taky on Tue 22 May 2007 01:39

long time I've been wondering about that, as Maori introduced at they arrival from Polynesia. But under this climate it seem to only grow if cultivated, and I've never found a reference to wild specimens. A shame really!

There are not much plants to forage from the wild I'm afraid (to my knolege!), specially when compared to European flora.... and the ones existing are not precisely palatable or easy to process. Protein on the other hand is abundant and tasty.
Taky

New postby Marc C on Tue 22 May 2007 02:04

I read somewhere that sweat potatoe was introduced to the region around 500 A.D.

Taro & a variety of Yam are also common in the South Pacific & aparently cultivated & found in the wild in certain areas )islands)?

Marc
Marc C

New postby Kuma on Tue 22 May 2007 08:03

My goodness. Who is that handsome young lad splitting that log open and sleeping by the fire?

Truley was a great weekend Pablo my friend. I think I have contracted the bush craft virus, because my garden has started to look a lot more interesting to me this week...if only I had a knife... :B
Kuma

New postby kiwiblade on Tue 22 May 2007 09:16

Looks like you 2 had a great weekend in the bush.I can't get out for another couple of weeks :boohoo: keep the pics coming,i will post some of mine when i can.Kuma i might have a knife for you pm if interested.
kiwiblade

New postby Taky on Tue 22 May 2007 11:53

I'm loving it... kiwi activity on OMF :group:
Taky

New postby Sydney_Guy on Mon 25 Jun 2007 13:20

Taky wrote
The possum trapping will be for next time... the basics needed to be sorted!

Hi Taky,

I have a videotape of an old Tasmanian trapper demonstrating how to make snares for possums and wallabies. If you're interested I could send you a copy.

Regards
SG
Sydney_Guy

Return to Pathways and blogs