Camping Gaz cylinders? Hurricane IKE- CV 270- CV 470

To discuss self-sufficiency including ecological impacts.

Camping Gaz cylinders? Hurricane IKE- CV 270- CV 470

New postby jables on Wed 17 Sep 2008 19:57

I am unable to locate the reusable disposable camping Gaz cylinders here in the states.
I have a Easy-Clic stove and lantern. I know they are readily available in Europe.
James- you may have an idea- i thought i may have seen a pierceable bluet canister in
one of your photos. I have been out of power for 4 days now thanks to hurricane IKE.
Much apprecited. I heard a rumor that coleman bought the company- I hope they do
not discontinue them.
jables

Re: Camping Gaz cylinders? Hurricane IKE- CV 270- CV 470

New postby LD on Fri 19 Sep 2008 18:41

What type cylender is it Jables? Are you speaking of the small butane tanks like the whisper jet uses?

And where are you inside these United States? Are the stores open?

Are you using an alternative source of lighting and cooking and what is it?

Ike caught us on Sunday and knocked out power to 600,000 homes. Some are still without power and it is comming back on line very slowly. We went three days with no juice.

Long term power outages are a way of life around here. We have at least one each year. Most of the folk in my neighborhood stay prepared for them. If you are not expecting them or if you are traveling and are not prepared they can be big trouble.

Since we were at home We weathered it fairly well. Small generator kept the deep freezer safe and charged the deepcycle battery for the power inverter. Coleman lanterns and crates of candles. Extra water at all times. I cooked on the grill or on the two burner Coleman stove.

Canned fuel does present a problem in emergency situations. When you run out you are SOL.

I use the 1# porpane cylenders in my car camping gear and have an adapter that will refill them from a 20# tank. I also have a distribution tree that fits on top of the tank and powers several appliances at the same time. Most of my liquid fuel appliances are multifuel and will use white gas, regular gas, desil or kero.

If you are in really bad shape try using Alcahol in a tuna can for warming water or heating basic supplies. Alcahol on a larger can with a roll of TP dumped in will burn for a long time. You can use wood alcahol, fuel injector cleaner, gas treatment or isoprophal alcahol.

A can full of sand with some gasoline poured in will burn well.

You can also use a large coffee can with a chunk of an artificial fire log in it. Poke some holes near the base of the can and 1/4 of a log will cook a whole meal.

What do you have access too? Look around and improvise.

OK I just googled your stove and it is the butane canister type. You can gwet those at any Bass Pro, Wallmart in my area has them and so does the local Kroger food store. Dick's Sporting goods also carries them as well as any good camp outfitter or adventure store. Even in small town KY I can lay my hands on them in three or four places.
LD
OM Team
OM Team

New postby James on Fri 19 Sep 2008 18:56

shit, I thought I posted an answer.

Yes they are easy to find around. unfortunately these times noway to ship you any without being taken to jail for terrorism. :bah:

I have a woodgaz stove for such occurence, though is is years that we have had a power cut of more than a mirosec.
James

New postby jables on Sat 20 Sep 2008 17:37

James wrote:shit, I thought I posted an answer.

Yes they are easy to find around. unfortunately these times noway to ship you any without being taken to jail for terrorism. :bah:

I have a woodgaz stove for such occurence, though is is years that we have had a power cut of more than a mirosec.

James- LD- thanks for the help- yeah- unfortunately you can't ship via air. Sportmart- Now Sports Authority used to sell this type of canister- it is kind of like the MSR red iso/butane but they use a proprietary (pain in the ass) nozzle.
It appears that they are widely used throughout Europe- including the piercable bluets--but now Coleman appears to have bought out the US distributorship - probably to eliminate the competition. Time to build one of James wood stoves I guess- I have enough sticks lying around to burn for 50 yrs. LD- i bought a new power inverter and deep cycle 12v battery- the inverter is nice because it has a digital readout that shows voltage in, AC voltage out (120) and the wattage of what is going out in each plug. It is a Schumacher Power Inverter PID 410 (410 watt continuous).
If you run across the UCO candles- 9hr- high melt temperature- they are great- Wal-Mart has them in the camping section for 2.88 for 3 pack. That took care of the lighting along with an Couglans folding aluminum stove windscreen as a light reflector.
jables

New postby LD on Wed 24 Sep 2008 20:04

You can find a solar pannel trickle charger at any of the auto supply houses for around $20 and keep that deepcycle charged all the time. I once ran from April til Oct without paying a power bill using deep cycle and the solar charger with 12V appliances and the inverter.

The carb on my generator turned lose during the recent unpleasantries (gaskets dried out) and I am now working on a rebuild. Got to be ready for the "next one".

I have been lucky in the past few weeks. Several friends married off their girl children and i managed to inherit some of the hundreds of pillar candles and votives from each celibration. I think I am good for a couple of years at this point.
LD
OM Team
OM Team

New postby jables on Thu 25 Sep 2008 01:15

great idea on the solar charger- I was thinking about buying a battery tender AC trickle charger- I could prob. pick up the solar for the same price. We have had plenty of sunshine lately. Reading up on rigging deep cycles in parallel or series configurations.
jables

New postby LD on Thu 25 Sep 2008 21:20

Harbor Freight has a small float charger that sells for around $8, that would keep you fully charged off regular current.

The solar pannels are good when you are off the grid, but they are slow, at 1 amp per hour. I was in a situation where the daytime light lasted until 9 pm and i needed only a couple of hours of lighting with my 12v lights. I was charging for 16 hours and using the current for 2 or 3.

At that rate it takes a long time to charge a 100 amp hour batttery and only a short time to use it up with a couple of 60 watt bulbs and an inverter.

One of my neighbors was running his car to charge the battery for his inverter to keep his deep freeze going. He only had to do that for an hour each day of the blackout to keep the goods safe. It was way cheaper than going our and buying a generator, if you could have found one anywhere!
LD
OM Team
OM Team

New postby JAK on Sun 28 Sep 2008 20:29

Hi Jables!

I'm not sure if I understand your application entirely (equipment-wise, that is), but I can say- I use one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=45989

occasionally and it does okay (I don't think as well as buying a new cylinder- I can't get it to fill up as much). Watch and you can catch them on sale! Hope this helps! :yup:

JAK
JAK

New postby jables on Mon 29 Sep 2008 01:21

Thanks- that is a good website- lots of good stuff on there.
jables

Return to Self-sufficiency