Size of pack? anyone know?

Discuss any outdoor gear, ruksack, sleeping, clothing, boots, gadgets, weaponry..

Size of pack? anyone know?

New postby heel dust on Mon 01 Aug 2005 21:01

I acquired this pack while in the Marine Corps. Does anyone know the size in actual cubic inches or liters? I am trying to get an idea on its capacity. I am looking for another backpack. This one is too large for most of my needs. There were several comments made by these the lightweight chumps during my Grand Canyon trip, "hey, nice pack" and, “whoa! That thing is huge” -haha. Oh well, they gasped this in between gulping breathes as I would pass them on the trail. Most were pouring sweat like a sprung dam. Nothing against lightweight, I think its smart, but I guess for those of us where a few extra pounds is no big deal, we shouldn’t “sweat it.”

I just want a more compact, streamlined set-up. I like the maxpedition condor but I think it’s a bit too small.

Thanks.
Attachments
pack1.jpg
pack1.jpg (36.03 KiB) Viewed 989 times
heel dust

New postby MoccasinMan on Tue 02 Aug 2005 02:16

get a sack of packing penuts, fill the pack, then dump the penuts into a cardboard box, and measure the height lenght and width of the volume filled by penuts, there you have your pack's volume. just because somone can carry a heavy weight, doesn't mean he sould. lighter is usually easier and simpler, and less expensive
MoccasinMan

New postby heel dust on Tue 02 Aug 2005 03:11

clever idea. thanks for the tip.
heel dust

New postby LD on Tue 02 Aug 2005 16:25

like they say:

"what you don't carry in your head you have to carry on your back"

Or is it "the more you carry in your head the less you carry on your back"

Either way, perhaps you'd better keep the big sack.
LD
OM Team
OM Team

New postby heel dust on Tue 02 Aug 2005 21:04

“smarter, not harder.”

I plan on keeping the larger pack for the heavier loads. It nice to know one can carry the weight, if necessary, without falling apart underneath it.

Regardless, as I mentioned above, I’m looking for a smaller pack.
Does anyone still reading this post have any suggestions?
heel dust

Re: Size of pack? anyone know?

New postby rg598 on Mon 18 Aug 2008 21:11

From what I can see you have the CFP 90. It is about 6000 cu, 6500 cu if you include the pockets. It's a great pack, especially for winter camping.
rg598

Return to Gear and other hardware