pellet rifle recommendatons

Discuss any outdoor gear, ruksack, sleeping, clothing, boots, gadgets, weaponry..

pellet rifle recommendatons

New postby LD on Wed 02 Jul 2008 05:39

Does anyone have a line on a decent spring powered pellet rifle that will cost me less than $100 U.S.

I can see no reason why a $50 pellet rifle should cost me $100.

:toldyou:

I can buy a good .22 rimfire cheaper than i can buy a crappy pellet rifle! I just can't shoot it in the back yard.

:bang:
LD
OM Team
OM Team

Re: pellet rifle recommendatons

New postby jables on Wed 02 Jul 2008 13:08

LD- did your $20.00 cheap chinese that was dispatching rabbits in your garden bite the dust?
Try Archer Air Guns on the web- can't get you the URL from here at work (blocked!).
They have a nice selection of CO2 powered- lots of options- it is called the QB78.
I think you can even have them sighted in there at the distributor in NY.
Attachments
qb78.jpg
qb78.jpg (1.77 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
jables

Pellet guns are my specialty

New postby DavidEnoch on Wed 02 Jul 2008 16:05

Hi LD,
Pellet guns are my main hobby for the past 10 years or so. The fact is that a quality springers cost more than rim-fires in the US. Most of my springers are in the $300 to $500 range. The two lower priced airguns I would recommend that you look at are the Slavia 630 (or 631) and the Slavia 634. These Slavia airguns are well made and very good for the price.

The difference between the 630 and 631 are that the 631 has a locking breech, the trigger can be adjusted without removing the stock, and the stock has more of a match look to it. Both the 630 and 631 are low powered airguns in the 600 fps range. This is a good power level for shooting in a small backyard. These guns are capable of taking birds, squirrel, and rabbit out to 25 yards. They are very accurate out to 35 yards or further.

The 634 is a 700 to 750 fps airgun. It will give you a little more usable range. Here is a link for a Slavia 634 for $139 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =103766340 . You can usually find the Slavia 630, 631, and 634 on Gun Broker or Auction Arms.

Don't get wrapped up in the Gamo hype about 1000 fps. First of all, to get those velocities they use very lightweight pellets that are not very accurate. Second, with a decent pellet, most guns that advertise 1000 fps are more likely to be in the low to mid 800s. And third, a pellet becomes unstable as it gets close to the speed of sound.

If you go to the busiest airgun forum in the US, http://www.yellowforum.com and ask about backyard guns, the top response will be a Beeman R-7 and the second would be an RWS 24. But, both of those guns are out of your range. At the top of the forum are links to a lot of good airgun dealers. Most of the web sites have a lot of good information. Pyramid Air has a blog written by Tom Gaylord that is especially good.

Someone recommended the QB78. If you don't mind C02, that is a very nice rifle. I have a couple of them myself. They are much easier to shoot accurately than a springer. Also the Crosman 397, 392, and Silver Streak are very good quality multi stoke pneumatics.

Feel free to e-mail me if you want more help.

David Enoch
cell 214-693-3512
DavidEnoch

New postby jables on Wed 02 Jul 2008 16:43

David- good info- I have heard not so good things about the gammo premium pellets- first- why would you want to pay $9.95 for a small (50ct?) tube of these. Second, I have heard that they will "crack" quite loudly -almost as loud as a .22 on some of the higher velocity rifles- and then your neighbors come out to see who is shooting what, etc. Third- they are LIGHT weight- that is how they are getting the screaming velocity out of them- it is HYPE- I have seen the commercial- they take larger game stuck in traps or wounded where the guy can get to within 5 feet of them. I think the QB78 is around the 600 fps range- you can get the base model for like $80 bucks- I think in .22 or .177- lots of available upgrades- you can use multiple Co2 options. I will have to look up the ones you mentioned later.
jables

LD, Compasseco is a large airgun dealer and is close to you

New postby DavidEnoch on Wed 02 Jul 2008 17:34

Compasseco Inc.
151 Atkinson Hill
Bardstown, Kentucky 40004

Phone (800) 726-1696
Fax (502) 349-9596

If you go there, don't let them talk you into any of the Tech Force branded springers.
Hey, one other gun you might consider that is just a little over your price range is the RWS 34 or Panther. It is a good fairly powerful gun. It is probably in the mid 800 fps in 177 or 650 fps in 22. They are very good guns for the money. My brother has one and I like it except it is rather loud. You will find that the more powerful a springer is, the harder it is to shoot since all the bouncing of the piston back and forth happens before the pellet leaves the barrel. A very loose hold is the best way to shoot a springer.

On the QB78, or any other non-shrouded C02 gun, they will be fairly loud.

David Enoch
DavidEnoch

New postby jest on Thu 03 Jul 2008 09:43

Maybe look for used airguns? Obviously you'll have to know what you're looking for AND what to look for (you could run the risk of buying something that's been abused), but you might find a better quality gun for a much nicer price.
I bought my Weihrauch 95 for 100 euros less than new price and it had only shot about 200 pellets.
jest

Here are the two best sites to buy used airguns

New postby DavidEnoch on Thu 03 Jul 2008 17:27

Here are the two best web sites to buy used airguns. I have bought and sold dozens of guns on these two sites. I highly recommend them>

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79574/
http://www.airguns.net/classifieds/classifieds.php

David Enoch
DavidEnoch

New postby LD on Thu 03 Jul 2008 18:10

Thank you one and all.

I am still wrestling with my consience and studying the options.

My chineese POS is still shooting, and i am still piddling with it. I finally got the sights set (I had to rebuild them to adjust them) and i am only having occasional flyers, probably due to the pellets. I am getting about 3/4" groups at 30 feet using the open sights.

Now if I could get the spring out of a Honda civic into that thing I might have a rifle!

:greend:
LD
OM Team
OM Team

New postby mariobab on Thu 03 Jul 2008 21:53

I have had chineese Shanghai qb23 for some time,and it was very good rifle.I gave it away when I have bought Cometa 300,now I'm sorry,not that Cometa is bad,but Shanghai felt better.I think I'll go for Slavia with next.
mariobab

New postby LD on Tue 08 Jul 2008 05:14

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I benched the Chineese POS after getting tired of the erratic groups. I found that I am getting 1/4" 4 shot groups at 10 meters. Two of them! :toldyou:

Two shots touching high and two shots touching one inch lower. This is not two high followed by two low but one high then one low followed by one high and one low.

:sad:

What do you expect for $20?

The wife says I just need bigger tin cans!

Actually, this thing bounces the soda cans real well out to the edge of the yard. Perhaps i should just accept the fact that this thing is not going to hit postage stamps @ 10 m.

I did see a good bargin on Archers site. I may be flexing the ole credit card in a few days. He may not be giving me a $100 for $50 but it looks like he can get me a $200 gun for around $100. It's not free, but it's not bad.
LD
OM Team
OM Team

Try different pellets

New postby DavidEnoch on Wed 09 Jul 2008 13:00

LD, just about all air guns are pellet sensitive. Some pellets will group well and others in the same gun look like a shot gun pattern. In general, dome head pellets are the most accurate at longer ranges. A few pellets that are accurate in the most guns are Crosman Premier Pellets in the cardboard box (not the can), JSB Exacts, JSB Express, Beeman Kodiak pellets, Beeman Trophy pellets, and Beeman FTS pellets. You will probably not find any of these in a local store. I use Crosman Premier pellets the most. In 177, they have two weights and I use the lighter of the two. For a pellet that you may find locally, you might try the Crosman pointed pellets, and the Crosman Hollowpoints. My guns generally do pretty well with the Gamo Hunter pellet also. I had one gun that loved the old style Crosman Pointed Pellet better than anything else but doesn't like the new style Crosman Pointed Pellets. I always keep my eyes out for the old style pellets.

You can order pellet sampleers that come with a few of a lot of different pellets to try.

I hope this helps,

David Enoch
DavidEnoch

Return to Gear and other hardware