"Survival" flashlight

Discuss any outdoor gear, ruksack, sleeping, clothing, boots, gadgets, weaponry..

"Survival" flashlight

New postby pvtcamo on Fri 27 Jun 2008 20:51

I just bought a new version of an old flashlight I used to see when I was a kid. People used to use it on their bicycles as "headlights".
Dimensions: 11cmX6,5cmX3cm (approx. 4''x2.5''x1'')
I think it would make a good addition to survival kits/B.O.B.s/72hr kits. Why? A couple reasons:

First, it's cheap: 25 HRK (Croatian Kuna) / cca. $5 USD / cca. 3€

Second, it stands and it hangs ---›

Third, it opens, which means you can put stuff in it ---›

Fourth, it lets you make fire in at least three ways ---› it has a concave lens, it has a battery (use the wires that you wrap around the hanging thingy), and it can hold matches

Fifth, it stores tinder (the battery cames wrapped in paper, and you can put some more + some cotton wool)
pvtcamo

Re: "Survival" flashlight

New postby jables on Fri 27 Jun 2008 21:16

good idea....even better if it was LED bulb instead of what looks to be regular Xenon bulb. Throw in a small ferro rod and some spark-lite tinder....good to go. maybe even be able to fit a small signal mirror, some write in rain paper, folded aluminum foil
small bobin of fishing line and some real small- size 16- 18 hooks.
Flashlight BOB (bug out box) made to order. Bravo.
jables

New postby Hogar on Fri 27 Jun 2008 22:58

jables wrote:good idea....even better if it was LED bulb instead of what looks to be regular Xenon bulb. Throw in a small ferro rod and some spark-lite tinder....good to go. maybe even be able to fit a small signal mirror, some write in rain paper, folded aluminum foil

...axe, tent and sleeping bag. :nana:
Hogar

New postby pvtcamo on Sat 28 Jun 2008 06:49

jables wrote:good idea....even better if it was LED bulb instead of what looks to be regular Xenon bulb. Throw in a small ferro rod and some spark-lite tinder....good to go. maybe even be able to fit a small signal mirror, some write in rain paper, folded aluminum foil
Flashlight BOB (bug out box) made to order. Bravo.

It doesn't look so, but you can actually fit a lot of stuff in there (especially flat stuff like paper, a signal mirror, a fresnel lens...)

Wrap the whole thing in electric tape and duct-tape to waterproof it (at least for the rainy days)...

Thanx for lookin' and for the "Bravo." I'm relatively new at all this, and don't have a lot experience, so I appreciate any commendation/advice/criticism.

P.S. I also forgot to mention that the old models used to have another switch/button on the top, that is great for S.O.S. signalling.
pvtcamo

New postby jables on Mon 30 Jun 2008 14:37

Good one Hogar....... :lmao: Have you ever seen Jaws? :mexnana:
"I think we are gonna need a bigger flashlight"
jables

New postby WesRunton on Sat 05 Jul 2008 23:47

How do you use the wires to make a battery? Can you link a good article? Thanks.
WesRunton

New postby pvtcamo on Sun 06 Jul 2008 16:31

WesRunton wrote:How do you use the wires to make a battery? Can you link a good article? Thanks.

I guess you mean: "how do you make fire with the wires and the battery?"

Well... You connect one piece of the wire to the positive terminal of the battery, and the other to the negative terminal. Then bring the ends of the wires together. Of course, you should strip the plastic off the ends. The connected ends of wire will start to glow (form heat). Put the glowing wire to some tinder.

I haven't yet managed to light a fire that way. But, I say: "Yet", because I will not give up.

Also, John Wiseman says you can get a spark by slowly bringing the wires together but not connecting them. That spark could ignite fumes from gasoline or something similar (I think there is a Survivorman episode in which he makes fire that way; I think it's the "Plane crash" episode).

P.S. The battery is the black square with white spots on the third picture.
pvtcamo

Return to Gear and other hardware