Flea market finds...

Discuss any outdoor gear, ruksack, sleeping, clothing, boots, gadgets, weaponry..

Flea market finds...

New postby jest on Thu 01 May 2008 10:12

We have flea markets here on Queen's day in the Netherlands.
On top of my list yesterday was finding a decent old axe head, but all I came across was really cheap hatchets with really dodgy handles. I bought a discounted axe handle a while ago, which was on sale because there were some scuff marks on it. I don't think they noticed that the grain was almost perfect!

I did manage to find some good stuff (excluding the usual records I buy):
-A Meta-71, little self-contained swiss cookset (tiny (10.5x5cm) pan and esbit stove) for 50 eurocents.
-A new, woodland camo, coated nylon poncho (NSN# 8405-01-100-0976) for 7 euros.
-A rather abused Victorinox centurion (locking 8cm plain edge blade and beer bottle opener/screw driver, awl, philips head and can opener. The blade is still reasonable, the can opener looks like it's been through hell but the rest looks unused.), Dutch military issue, for 10 euros. Not really worth it considering the can opener's state, but I couldn't haggle any lower and it's been 6 months since I last bought a knife :B ).
-A buck saw (German, quality unknown but probably not that great) for 1 euro.

I'm going to sleep out in the woods tonight, will try out the poncho as a tarp (it's going to rain...) and I'll bring some leftovers to heat up in the little Meta stove.
jest

Re: Flea market finds...

New postby DavidEnoch on Thu 01 May 2008 12:30

I like going to Flea Markets. Like you, I am always looking for an ax, hatchet, knives, or camping equipment. Sometimes I find neat stuff, other times I take home junk that I wish I hadn't bought and it lands up going in the trash. Last time out I bought a very small carpentry hatchet not much bigger than a mini vaughn. I have to get a handle for it and profile the blade.

David Enoch
DavidEnoch

New postby mike_of_the_woods on Sun 01 Jun 2008 06:35

Flea market lover here as well, a lot of my camping equipment was found at flea markets, gun shows, etc. Just picked up my new EDC at a gun show, a Falkniven Frej for 160$, new in the box. Amazing knife, already cut myself..... 2 stitches! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Picked up my army canteen complete with steel cup and pouch brand new for 5$, and my camp cook set for 7$.
mike_of_the_woods

New postby Earl on Tue 15 Jul 2008 02:39

Glad to hear I am not the only one. Flea Markets and Thrift Stores are great for the "Unexpected Treasure". Most recent for me was an older
SAK for $5 , and for $3 a French version of the SAK in solid stainless steel . Even the scales. Too pretty to use, so far.
Happy Hunting.
Earl

New postby jest on Fri 22 Aug 2008 23:15

Not flea market but the dutch version of Ebay...
I got myself a batch of stoves:
-Never used Optimus 8r
-Three primusses (a 106 and two 100s, one missing the pump)
-The guy threw in another stove he found, turned out to be a borde bomb!
For 80 euros.

I'm a happy man, polishing a lot of brass. Now all I have to do is get them all running!
jest

New postby wildcat on Mon 25 Aug 2008 15:01

another flea market/garage saler here. one thing i do while at these places is not only look for the stuff you want/need, but look for deals on just about any valuable items to use as trade goods or to sell and buy more junk. :lmao:
wildcat

Return to Gear and other hardware