Sleeping bag for short people?

Discuss any outdoor gear, ruksack, sleeping, clothing, boots, gadgets, weaponry..

Sleeping bag for short people?

New postby matt on Mon 14 Jan 2008 23:05

My girlfriend is a mere scrap of 5' 1-1/2" tall and is looking for a new 4-season sleeping bag. I'm very happy with my British Army PLCE one but it's too long for her -- wasted space and weight. Can anyone recommend any fair inexpensive but decent bags, especially military surplus ones, more suited to short personages?
matt

Re: Sleeping bag for short people?

New postby rambler on Tue 15 Jan 2008 03:54

I can't name a specific brand but you might look for women specific bags. Some manufacturers make a female version of their regular bags which are shorter.
rambler

New postby wildcat on Tue 15 Jan 2008 15:16

You may try youth sized bags too. i don't know if that will work, but it's worth a try to check it out.
wildcat

New postby tuxdaddy on Tue 15 Jan 2008 16:00

Please don't take wrongly.. :ohshit:

But how good are you or your lady at sewing ?? You can always buy one that you/she likes and cut off what you don't need and stitch it to your liking.. Hope that helps ?? :bah:

If nothing else you can use it as a chance to learn a new skill :yup:..
tuxdaddy

New postby ith on Wed 09 Jul 2008 20:37

Hello,

Excuse me for my english....

You could see to Helsport brand who make some nice stuff. Not always light but very small until packaged. Small packed volume for synthetic, good quality.
I don't know what you call "4seasons". The european norm is very "conservative" (more than Leeds one or Thelma) except for extrem temperature. So It is a real -5°C (man with underwear, top and bottom, and ridgerest). One special feature : no velcros (scratch) to fight with inside the sleeping bag (except for a small watch pocket but you couldn't touch the velcros during the night), only snaps.
I have the "normal" and I am 1.82m (+- 6 feets 2 inches) 90kg (+- 180 pounds), lot of space inside.

Sorry not specially inexpensive.

Model Alta in four height small (1.75m body height) ; normal (1.95m); long (2.15m) to XL (1.95m + wide people):

http://www.helsport.no/helsport/EntryPage.aspx?objectid=10181

May be It will help you....

[EDIT] details and temperature ratings.
Last edited by ith on Thu 10 Jul 2008 06:59, edited 4 times in total.
ith

New postby LD on Wed 09 Jul 2008 21:11

I would get a U.S GI bag and cut it down as previously advised.

They are already a bit on the small size. I am 5'10" and 175 and mine is cramped both in length and diameter.

Turning it inside out, sewing a seam across the bottom and cuting the excess off should be a 30 minute job.
LD
OM Team
OM Team

New postby jables on Thu 10 Jul 2008 00:53

Welcome!!!- not to worry- your english is fine. Western Mountaineering and Montbell make some real nice ultra-lite bags- expensive-but they are a great value. Here is the link. LD had a good idea- maybe you could alter a surplus military bag if price is an issue.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/in ... ing%20Bags

or

http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?cat_id=5
jables

New postby LD on Thu 10 Jul 2008 13:40

Sportsman's Guide and Cheaper Than Dirt usually have down filled surplus bags for around $50.

In my area they would be 4 season bags. I got 2 new ones still in the plastic a couple of years back @ $25 each. I do not like sleeping in a mummy tube, but I could get over that if necessary for sustaining life. They might be just the thing for s 5' tall woman. Most of our soldiers are not much bigger than that these days.
LD
OM Team
OM Team

Return to Gear and other hardware