Best poncho

Discuss any outdoor gear, ruksack, sleeping, clothing, boots, gadgets, weaponry..

Best poncho

New postby appletree_man on Mon 27 Aug 2007 14:52

I'm looking for the best poncho that can also be used as a groundsheet, shelter, etc.
Most seem to recommend the US Army surplus version, would you agree ? I'm only looking to spend around £15, nothing too fancy :thumb!:
appletree_man

Re: Best poncho

New postby LD on Mon 27 Aug 2007 15:26

At that price you will not find a better poncho. Make sure you get the GI issue and not some "knock off".

One of the three issue items I kept long term after discharge from the Army was my poncho, the other was poncho liner and third was the boots. I used the poncho until just a few months ago when it finally gave up the ghost. I brought it home in 1974 so you can judge the duribility.

This was the type made from heavy ruberized rip-stop with gromets all around and snaps on each side with the drawstring hood. They were one of our most useful items.

we used them for:

shelters of every sort (snapped together they make large shelters possible)
rafts (stuff with brush and tie closed)
ground cloths
tarps for valuables and odd sized loads
water collectors
hammocks (Yep, you can tie off the ends to trees and they will support you, snap closed too)
strechers for injured
body bags for injured that did not make it

We never carried shelter halves and we normally traded out sleeping bag weight for extra ammo, but no one gave up their poncho.

You do not know what being tired is until you have wrapped up in a poncho and laid down on a flat rock and slept for 3 hours in a pouring down rain.
LD
OM Team
OM Team

New postby wildcat on Mon 27 Aug 2007 18:27

LD, Thank you for your service to this country! :bow: =D= =D= =D=

appletree, I bought a 5 pack of the German surplus flectar poncho's for $10 from http://www.cheaperthandirt.com. I think they are rubberized cotton. They are good poncho's but they are alot heavier than the poncho's that LD mentioned. My next poncho will be the rip-stop version.

wildcat

New postby mjhMN on Fri 07 Sep 2007 22:08

Yep the genuine military surplus rip stop nylon with the groments and all the best Poncho for the dollar out there. You pick the pattern and you will be happy a long time.
mjhMN

New postby FVRago on Sun 09 Sep 2007 02:00

Mil. poncho's have a tendancy to save ones butt.

Camping in S.Ga. and it got down to 0 degrees. I was not prepared and was cold. All I brought was a light blanket, around midnight I realized that I had my mil. poncho. Layed it out, put the blanket in, rolled myself up and was toasty warm.

Ponchos are great.
FVRago

New postby appletree_man on Tue 18 Sep 2007 01:31

FVRago wrote:Mil. poncho's have a tendancy to save ones butt.

Camping in S.Ga. and it got down to 0 degrees. I was not prepared and was cold. All I brought was a light blanket, around midnight I realized that I had my mil. poncho. Layed it out, put the blanket in, rolled myself up and was toasty warm.

Ponchos are great.

I do like the idea of using a poncho, and a blanket, instead of a sleeping bag. Anyone else have experience of doing this ?
appletree_man

New postby totallycustom on Wed 26 Sep 2007 19:08

Well guys, Where im from if you wear a poncho to woods you are going to get wet very wet and we will probably make fun of you. I live near the olympic rainforest, http://www.nps.gov/olym/naturescience/t ... orests.htm and it rains a lot plus is not warm like a jungle (its a temperate rainforest). We know from experience that water can and will find its way into things especially flowy ponchos. If you are trying to stay dry a good breathable rainsuit will be well worth the investment worn with a large brimmed goretex or tincloth hat you would be pretty set. I also try to wear as much wool as possible to keep the water from getting me cold I have quite an extensive FIlson wardrobe.

But I suppose if you have to have a poncho there are some ok ones out there, on a budget a us army poncho would be durable and ok. Check these options out :

http://outdoors.magazine.free.fr/s_article. ... rticle=116

http://outdoors.magazine.free.fr/s_article. ... rticle=195 <<<-- This would be the one I would get if you want the BEST, my dad has a similar one ( not quite as long on him hes 6'6") that he pairs up with a pair of goretex pants and he stays very dry, but then a bivanorak is not really a poncho.

Sorry to be a poncho hater, but its just my niche ecosytem that makes them undesirable. I like the idea of their versatility though. If you ask Schwert he may agree with me, he is from Washington state also.

-TC-
totallycustom

New postby totallycustom on Thu 27 Sep 2007 21:30

Is there a way to edit our posts, after we make them on this board? I've noticed a few grammatical mistakes in my previous post that I would like to fix.

ok, i can edit this one but not the one prior?

-TC-
totallycustom

New postby rambler on Thu 04 Oct 2007 12:44

I used my surplus poncho the Tuesday night hiking in a rain storm. I noticed that the edge of the poncho hit me on the back of the leg right above the cuff of my boots. Guess where all the water went? I agree that ponchos are handy to have around but I still prefer a rain suit. The rain suit provides better protection and does not get in the way during some of my activities. This is especially true for shooting a bow and canoeing.
rambler

New postby katphood on Mon 17 Dec 2007 23:42

Does anyone know the weigth of the US Mil. ripstop poncho?

thx
katphood

New postby geargeek on Tue 18 Dec 2007 00:28

It can double as a sleeping bag cover. And two of them can be buttoned together as a tent. It is just over 60 inches by about 96 inches.
geargeek

New postby katphood on Sat 22 Dec 2007 00:38

I agree with totallycustom that ponchos are not great when its very wet out. You'll get wet legs and feet from grass, plants, etc. I lived in Oregon for half my life, and while its probably not quite as wet as the Olympic Peninsula (I've heard it referred to as Hypothermic Penninsula), its still darn wet much of the year. A full rainsuit is the way to go, though I suppose a poncho, waterproof or goretex boots, and gaiters would work OK too.

But now, I'm in California and do most of my blister creation in the Sierra where you can have pretty dry weather most of the year. In fact, the only time I had precipitation on a trip was the one time I didn't bring my bivvy bag. It snowed.

I used a fallen tree, my space blanket, and my raincoat and made (despite about 9mm headroom) a pretty decent shelter. Sure wish I had a poncho though; I could have used the space blanket for more warmth.

BTW, I just bought a surplus US Mil. Poncho for $2.00 on eBay. Well, plus $9.20 shipping. But for $11.20, I'm very impressed with the quality. It weighs about 480g or a little over a pound. Even if you don't wear it to stay dry while hiking its about the lightest and cheapest shelter you can get.

The SilPoncho (silicone impregnated) is around $50 and I bet wont' last as long.

:outdoors:
katphood

New postby loupeznik on Mon 14 Jan 2008 15:54

appletree_man wrote:
FVRago wrote:Mil. poncho's have a tendancy to save ones butt.

Ponchos are great.

I do like the idea of using a poncho, and a blanket, instead of a sleeping bag. Anyone else have experience of doing this ?

I've done it a few times. I don't care for it. I fall out of it in the night and I don't like the draft. I have used a gortex bivy and a poncho liner. I prefer that, particularly if you sleep with your rifle. The bivy is not as versatile, but it is just as light and is better at keeping out bugs and water.
loupeznik

New postby LD on Mon 14 Jan 2008 22:38

totallycustom wrote:Well guys, Where im from if you wear a poncho to woods you are going to get wet very wet and we will probably make fun of you. I live near the olympic rainforest, -TC-

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hey, look back at my earley post. I never said we ever used them for raingear! :yikes:

Only time I ever tried using the poncho for rain gear it was as wet inside the poncho as it was outside.

You guys in the PNW have no choice, if you do anything you do it in the rain. Wet weather gear is your most valuable item.

Us folks in the rest of the temperate world use a philosophy invented by our grandmothers and referencing the intelligence of the family line, having to do with possession of enough sense to get in out of the rain.

If it is raining I do not go.
If it is going to rain I do not go.
If I get caught in the rain I build a shelter, that is what the poncho if for.

Contractor size garbage bags and duct tape are the #2 choice. :wink2:

I used the poncho and liner as a sleeping bag while i was hiking the AT back in 2001. That was a warm weather trip and it worked well for me. I sleep cold so I would not want to rely on that set up as a three season sleep system. Depends on the individual.

Weight of the poncho and liner is probably 2 pounds. Most of that is gromets and snaps. Rolls up about 3"x12". Wrap it up with about 20' paracord and you are set.
LD
OM Team
OM Team

New postby rg598 on Mon 18 Aug 2008 21:43

I use a US Army poncho, and so far has worked great. It gets a bit too warm if worn during the summer, but combined with a bivy makes for a great shelter.

Just something to consider: if you carry two ponchos, you can snap them together to make an 8’x8’ tarp. That way you carry 1/3 less fabric when compared to a full tarp and rain gear.
rg598

New postby Nwwoodsman on Tue 19 Aug 2008 16:10

I have never had much luck with ponchos, but maybe that has to do the my location! I have looked at the mil surplus ones and they seem solid. But I think that a well setup tarp will give you more protection, but less versatility. If you live in a place with less rain a poncho may be the best thing. good luck! :thumb!:
Nwwoodsman

Return to Gear and other hardware