Interesting alternative to sierra wood stove: wood gazifier

Discuss any outdoor gear, ruksack, sleeping, clothing, boots, gadgets, weaponry..

Re: Interesting alternative to sierra wood stove: wood gazifier

New postby Taky on Sat 11 Aug 2007 12:09

I had a good laught today :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I was visiting a museum about the Dain empire, and this object caught my eye... this wood stove is more than 2000 years old, and same problems as us :lmao: :lmao:

The rest of the artifacts where stunning... I'll try to post the pictures!

Taky

New postby Stew on Sat 11 Aug 2007 15:45

tuxdaddy wrote:You know ?? After checking out that youtube on rocket stoves it made me wonder about what could be used inn the wood stoves to lighten it up a bit(weight wise that is)...

How about using wood ash like in the rocket stove.. The way I'm thinking, you'd put a layer of sand in the bottom(wet or damp), then fill up with ash to the last half inch or so, and then maybe another layer of sand(damp again).. Once you get things hot in there it'd seel the ash in place ...

How's it sound to you all ??

:confused: Tux

Yeah it sounds good but are you intending for the insulation to stay in there permanently?

Would it work if you emptied it out for travelling then refilled it with soil each time you made camp?
Stew

New postby Stew on Sat 11 Aug 2007 15:49

Hhm, I had forgotten about the Kelly Kettle.

http://www.kellykettle.com/works.html

Same sort of principle as the rocket stove.....
Stew

New postby tuxdaddy on Sat 11 Aug 2007 21:33

I don't see why you couldn't keep the ash in it once you got the sand dried out, and set in place.. Also yes you could just fill and empty with dirt each time that you set up camp... I guest that would be a personal preference choice on one's part..

Also instead of sand to keep the ash in why not clay ?? You wouldn't need mush for the top and bottom layers I'd imagine.. Guess that'll be another experiment to try..
tuxdaddy

New postby James on Fri 23 Nov 2007 20:17

I have used the woodstove gazifier a few times now, and it works extremely well. one of the things I like is that it does not darken much the bottom of the pots, ant that the colour left does not leave the pot when you touch it :wink2:
It is heavy to carry for trips, but it is a good wild camping alternative to a gas or alcool stove, very efficient too, I hope they will make one for hikers someday.
James

New postby Martinalix on Fri 22 Aug 2008 10:46

I have been using form many years woodstove gazifier a few times now, and it works extremely well.It is heavy to carry for trips, but it is a good wild camping alternative to a gas or alcool stove, very efficient too, I hope they will make one for hikers someday.

Thanks
Martinalix

Previous

Return to Gear and other hardware